Linux Mint Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 307
  • Views Views 38,187
ISP
Excitel
Airtel & Vi
People under estimate Linux Mint and when someone want's to try Linux, Ubuntu is recommended to him. Without even telling him about various distros available. Well, I tried Ubuntu 11.04 and am not impressed with it. Decided to try Linux Mint. It's an out of the box Operating System, and offers a lot of features comparatively a bit more than Ubuntu(IMO) but, just like Ubuntu the default mouse settings creates some troubles while using a touchpad. Placing two fingers on the touchpad makes the cursor go crazy, you have to look around the web to enable two fingers scroll and stuff. Pics below are of Linux Mint 10 "Julia" Gnome 64-bit.

The Linux Mint Blog » Blog Archive » Linux Mint 10 “Julia” released!

Erm, yeah, I was searching Ubuntu Community

I could have tried Mint but no place in HDD.

Mint is based on Ubuntu only. Its definitely more newbie friendly. But the earlier versions i tried (6,7,8) would always break/ have errors on updating. Also updates were slower than corresponding ubuntu updates.

Newbie friendly? Man, not all people wants to spend time installing the most basic stuff that an OS ought to have.

The only Linux that I have really used & that too sparingly is Sabayon Linux KDE (versions 3 & 4)

Is that default theme?

Yes, the gray one is the default theme rest of the themes(dark ones) are available in the appearance settings.

Avowed mint user since almost 3 years now. Glad you started this thread, there is a weird problem that i have been having that nobody seems to know the answer to, i have discussed it at length here: Linux Mint Forums • View topic - Two suspicious looking networks in Nautilus and would appreciate it if any suggestions were offered.

Allowed back after a long absence, would like to thank the forum for the kind gesture.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Forgot to mention that i am still on LM 9 because i didn't want to lose the ability to cache flash videos in the /tmp folder, haven't updated the flash either. Have LMDE on another partition, same problem.

Well, I read each of your post in the Linux Mint forums. Could you tell us what's your ISP and how you are connected to the internet? I think you mentioned in that tread already that you don't use Router etc.. so, how are you connected to the internet mmm? BTW everyone has their own favorite distros, but I am not sure that it's a reason enough to risk your online security 😕

Don't tell me you haven't heard of anyone who has connected to the Internet without a Router..anyway, as i explained i plug the rj45 into the LAN port in my PC, and bingo, i am connected, it's like magic. Another thing, i'd rather discuss this further with someone who is very comfortable with the file system (can even make modifications to the kernel if required, naah, not really, but he/she should certainly be better at it than me), command line, Nautilus and Networks..and it goes without saying, Linux Mint. :glasses-nerdy:

Curiosity about my ISP, and my quirky OS choice, can be satisfied on another thread started by me, where i have repeated my previous post (to get a wider audience), on the Broadband in India section. :smile-big:

Ok, i saw Ubuntu, and now i saw Mint.Are there any other reliable options in Linux as well??Am a complete newbie in this section, but i am pretty sure now on shifting to Linux. Want to know which one is better.My needs are:BrowsingTorrentsMedia-centre.....(Pics/Vids/Audio.....)Some Photo/Video editing - Video editing means just conversions & rarely cuttings......photos too - re-sizing/colour rectifying and all.Antivirus - obviously not an activity but its essential.Yes main thing - Officesuites.....thats imp for megaming - i have heard its not developed on this OS, i can do away with it (Or may be keep Windows for that if i need)i think this is all i do on my PC.....fed up MS & its "Premium" stuff. Time to go Open Source & better Source......PS: Its a copypasta from My Ubuntu thread post which is very old!!Another thing - whether i need to format my Hard-disk to install this??I have 3 drives available with Free disk spaces 55 GB, 35 GB, 70GB.....approximately.

If you consider yourself a complete noob and don't wanna spend time setting up the new os to serve youthen I would say go with Linux Mint it's out of the box OS.Otherwise, if you are not low on time and ready to learn new things about Linux, go with Ubuntu.. form your own opinion by doing some searches about both of the distros.

I think then i am covered by ur first line.......lack of enough time & complete noob. Wud experiment as i get used to using Linux based OS!!Btw, wat about formatiing the Hard disk?? Does it need a completely new partition or something??