Linux Mint 8 released

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 7,425
gOS and Linux Mint are two of the many Linux distributions based upon Ubuntu, but they provide their own spin of things. gOS, for instance, ships with WINE and Google Gears by default and focuses upon providing an easy and rich experienced catered around Web 2.0 services. Linux Mint ships with its own set of customizations and its focus is on providing an easy-to-use Linux desktop by having a distinct user interface, its own set of system, and shipping with various proprietary drivers, plug-ins, media codecs, and other packages. We had a question though from a reader asking whether the performance of these Ubuntu derivatives is vastly different from Ubuntu itself. With that inquiry, we have run a couple benchmarks comparing the performance of Ubuntu 8.10, gOS 3.1, and Linux Mint 6.

Read more @ Phoronix

The 7th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. In particular the menu system, the application manager and the upload manager now provide new features such as “Suggestions”, “Featured applications”, “SCP and SFTP support”. The underlying base of the operating system was also strengthened with a new adjustment mechanism which makes Linux Mint more robust and less vulnerable to Ubuntu package upgrades, and the introduction of virtual and meta packages which simplify upgrade paths and the installation of multiple desktop environments.

For a detailed overview of the new features and improvements included in Linux Mint 7, please read What’s new in Gloria.

Source: The Linux Mint Blog

Based on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, Linux 2.6.28, Gnome 2.26 and Xorg 7.4, Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" features a lot of improvements and the latest software from the Open Source World.

Using helena at the moment....It is my primary and only OS in my laptop....It is a bit slow as comapred to Gloria...But still better than other Linux OS...

I would like to give linux a try too,
but I don't know anything about it,
Should I download Mac os X snowleapord or is there any other better ones out there?

----------

I just realised Snow leopard is not really free :redface::redface:
I know very little about these free OS, may be I should just stick with the regular windows :grin:

^^ Download Ubuntu with wubi , you can easily try it in 2 steps and also remove it easily in case you dont like it .

To begin with install ubuntu within Windows, and if you don't like it, you can always delete it. If you end up liking it, then you can create a separate partition and stuff.

righto. wubi is the best option for him. and he is confused about mac os x. mac os x is not linux. it is somewhat based on a unix i guess.

I tried to install wubi, I got the wubi installer from the internet and went out as the download would take hours. When I came back it had a dialog box saying some permission denied. I am the only user on my computer and I have administrator account, so don't know what the problem is.It had downloaded some 640 mb worth of file , including an iso file, i tried to mount that file using deamon tools even then nothing happened. And thus ends my experiment with Linux .

actually... there is an easy way out using wubi.

just put the ubuntu ISO file in the same folder as wubi installer file.

make sure ISO is the right version for that wubi installer.

wubi would automatically pick up that ISO and start installing.

Can I force Wubi to download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu?
Yes, either pre-download the appropriate 32 bit ISO manually and place it in the same folder as Wubi.exe or start Wubi with the \"--32bit\" argument.

Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows