Linux 'killer' pc a sellout in Wal-mart!

• Thread starter Thread starter Vaithy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 7,664

Vaithy

Regular
ISP
BSNL DATAONE
Hello,
Who said open source didn't make money?
A linux based PC surprisingly neither Ubuntu nor PCLOS even before listed in Distrowatch com is making waves simply by word to word mouth is giving nightmares to Dell and other players who poke their nose in to Linux maret. read the full story..
Maybe open source has a future in the consumer world after all. A Linux-based PC that Wal-Mart began offering earlier this month for $199 is now listed as "Sold Out" on the retailer's Web site. The Everex TC2502 Green gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for sale by a major retailer. As such, it could be an indicator of open source software's potential for success in the consumer market.
If it is, the news is good for Linux lovers. Not only is the gPC sold out online, it's listed as "out of stock" in Wal-Mart stores from New York to Chicago to San Francisco, according to Wal-Mart's Web site.
Wal-Mart officials were not immediately available to answer questions about when, or if, the system will be restocked.
The gPC comes pre-loaded with the gOS operating system -- a Linux variant -- and a 1.5 GHz processor manufactured by Intel (NSDQ: INTC) clone maker Via Technologies. The rest of the specs include an 80-Gbyte hard drive and 512 Mbytes of DDR 2 memory.
There's no monitor included, but buyers get stereo speakers and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive.
As for software, the gPC comes with the free OpenOffice.org 2.2 productivity suite. The suite, which includes word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications, recently won backing from IBM.
Everex is a Taiwanese-based PC maker that's looking to carve a niche for itself as a supplier of low-cost systems. A version of Everex's gPC that runs the basic edition ofMicrosoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Windows Vista is on sale at Wal-Mart for $298.

Well, it has one advantage. It is cheap (cheaper than a copy of Windows or MS Office). As for the target audience, who are they?

Its a really good deal for $200 , add another cheap monitor and you get everything . Also this config will very happily run windows xp on it . Target market should be students, buisness,etc. I doubt they will really target it for first time buyers .. linux stills scares them away .

Yes, the hardware is functional. As for linux, it scares me even now. I mucked up my Suse 10.1 installation trying to upgrade Amarok. I kept downloading dependency after dependency to no avail (no internet connection to the vm installation). It simply would not install. And now it does not work properly. Will format the disk and install Suse 10.2 or an old fedora version.

that price is without monitor, right? in any case... in india its high time they launched a rs 10,000 PC with monitor and networking so middle-class people can afford a PC with internet...or is there already something available , there was some recent news about some pc/mtnl for cheap?

this price is without monitors

yes mtnl is also planning to launch a cheap pc

this is how the gOS looks like :

some say the g is for google because of the google apps on the desktop but walmart says its for green

btw u can get this os here :
gOS

even if it's not connected with Google in any way, it sure is a promoter of Google...not bad at all though...

Dear gregory!! it is not the fault of linux if you chose wrong distros.. Chose PCLOS or Linux Mint..everything is configured behand for you..If you are a student trying hand on programming than Fedora or Suse is right for you..if you wanted multimedia play without any hassels then Mint is enough..if you wanted windows experience then try freespire or Linspire..My difficulty arose because of the Freedom of Choice that Linux epose..With Nine distros in my Desktop and six distros in Laptop pose serious problems to maintaining all in one piece.. Sooner or later I am going to maintain only two or three distros but selection is difficultCome to gOS it is Green OS not google OS as every one believed..I am alredy installed it in my desktop and tested it.. I think it is aiming for mac users

It is not that I am new to Linux (Mandrake Linux and Suse Linux 6.3 were my first distros, and I have been a LFY subscriber since its inception). But I have to admit that I have spent more time installing Linux than actually using it. The problem I have is necessity (all my work is Windows related). I might shift my internet pc to Linux. But I have to be sure that things don't go wrong (one day without access to email and I am dead).That is why I am trying things out in a vm. But from all that I see, every major linux distro seems to need a broadband connection to work (downloading packages via their package managers), which I don't have (and going my experience with one, I am hesitant to acquire). I am not able to download an rpm (rpms don't work out of the box in ubuntu, they do however in Suse Linux) and do a simple install/ upgrade. Compare that to Windows where the base system dlls, the dotnet framework, a few mfc dlls and vb runtimes are more than enough to download and run nearly any software. Seems like a newbie thing. But I am not very sure of it.

Apps, apps & apps.If you can find all you need in linux, you must be very lucky indeed.As a server its lovely, stable and all with powerful cmd lines and all, but the desktop..hehe

hmmm....i feel very few apps are really lacking in linux now . . I use Fedora full time now ...dont miss windows much .. except for stuff like voice chat in yahoo..but I have found a way out for that . !Also if anyone needs, we can start a thread in linux section about windows apps and their alternative counterparts in linux, I would like to share my experience there!

@gregory houseGovernment offices Municipal corporations /Electricity boards etc : When they buy Computers on Lowest quotation. To issue your Tax receipt do you need Windows Vista @ Rs 15,000 preloaded ?Cannot specify WindowsOS as a condition !Imagine the Tax payer's money saved , and with the savings we may get 8Mbps BB Free! ! Don't take this seriously !