Linux drivers for 220BX

• Thread starter Thread starter crusader
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,451

crusader

Hi all, I am having an Airtel broadband connection with a 220BX ADSL2+ modem. Currently, I am using Windows XP and use the USB interface to connect to the modem. I would like to use Linux to connect to the internet, but am unable to get drivers for my modem. I would like to know whether it would work with USB at all in linux (FC 4). If not, please suggest some workaround. Thanks in advance.

The USB modem will DEFINITELY not work in linux.You have to call airtel, make some excuse, to get them to give you the LAN modem (which connects to your PC thru ethernet cable). Then it works perfectly fine in linux.

Yeah. I dont understand why people have to buy the inferior USB modem. It's a known fact that LAN is much faster than USB 😉

Thanks guys for the advice. The modem actually has 2 interfaces - USB and ethernet. Since, I didn't have a NIC, it still works on USB. I am going to get one lan card.

Got D-Link. It works well on windows. How about the dialer program that comes with the aritel connection? Is there a linux version for that? How do I really connect to the server?

Ok.. Let me make it more clear. When I used USB, the linux was not able to detect the n/w connection. But, now I have the lan card. I can configure the IP to be of the same segment as the router and everything works fine. But, how do I dial out? Atleast in windows, there was a dialer which gives out the login and password! What about that?

well router stores the username and password inside it so you do not have to manually login to airtel's network.

crusader, search the net for "linux adsl howto" to get some info on PPPoE dialling setup

my honest advice,i configure linux all the times on new boxes a lot when i build them, better get a NIC, get a VIA, nothing beats via's instant compatibility with any linux/windows/unix os. dont bother yourself with the usb in linux, its tooooo very time eating, especially when you get an error.

i also want to conenct to internet in linux through this 220bx,in xp its connected through usbbut it has ethernet port also...also i have Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC installedso my question is do i require drivers also?and what is VIA? 🙁

I have beetel 200bx modem and i am use in win & lin.Windows Use USB.Linux Use Lan connection.(i am use both interface one by one like when i boot windows its automatically use usb then i use ubuntu linux then it detect lan)Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy(Type command in terminal)For Setup - pppoeconf (automatically detect your settings)For Start - sudo pon dsl-providerFor Off - sudo pof dsl-providerVIA is your chipset (see the logo on your motherboard 1" black chip)Realtek8139 driver is not require in any OS because its most widely used Card.