• Thread starter Thread starter Asterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,494

Asterix

Regular
ISP
MTNL
IMHO there are too many semi-active forums in the technology and general discussions. Most of them suffer from the same viscous circle: too few posts which means too few people clicking them which means too few posts. It might be a good idea to combine all the technology forums into one and all the general discussion forums into another. In fact I would probably prefer combining all the off-topic forums into one really good, active forum which is far better than 20 semi-dead forums. Thoughts?

does it matter ? Do you really browse in each forum each time u login ? Most people use 'view new posts' directly ( atleast i do 😛 ) .Besides main forum page cant have just 4-5 topics 🙂

The "view new posts" is useful but it can only show the first thread in each forum. Which means that the second thread and below in each inactive forum is practically invisible since hardly anyone clicks those forums. Which in turn reduces the number of views and reduces the number of posts which further reduces the views etc. If those threads were consolidated into one forum, my guess is that lots of people would click that forum which would increase the total number of threads and posts. YMMV.

The "view new posts" is useful but it can only show the first thread in each forum. [/b]

Thats not true, it will show you all new posts made since your last visit.

yeap...and combining forum posts into one single group would create confusion for users asking questions for a particular ISP...

I was confusing the New posts feature with the Last Posts info. Actually now that I have checked it out, New posts does seem like a useful feature though I personally would still prefer a consolidated OT forum.Sushubh,My suggestion is only for off-topic forums like technology and general discussion so it woudn't affect the main ISP forums.

i really love the way bbpress works. homepage has all the latest updated/new posts. too bad IPB is a pathetic software. even the paid version sucks.

1. its still not reached a stable release.2. its not suitable for this kind of forum.3. shifting would be dangerous... and would break all linkage.4. bbpress would not have 50% of the features we have on this forum.5. people are not used to ipb/vb/phpbb forums... bbpress is a totally different breed...