Legality of Service Charge (mandatory tips) in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 14,025
Government is just working on a new way to raise revenue. In India, before the silence comes a storm.

They are already paying a lot. You see the price in menu. If you get poor service and are charged 10% for it, that's the problem part. No one expects restaurants to absorb the cost. They want food to cost what it appears in the menu for.

This would encourage me further to just go to zomato pro only restaurants for 20-25% discount

Hope it is applicable to swiggy and zomato they charge for delivery and delivery is a service then it is illegal they should give free delivery and allow to order without any minimum limit.

Restaurants will increase food prices and then customers will have to pay taxes on hidden 'service charge"
Not sure why the Halla is still on.

The restaurants I eat at which I called TIER 2 aka Middle class AC restaurants that do not levy Service charge!

These Hotels usually price the food at 50% higher than local joints and make decent profits ( Say I buy butter paneer masala for 200, they price it at ₹300-320)

If we are happy we pay ₹200/300 tip based on the service or food.

Diaherria season is upon us

That is all I will say because now its time for them to reduce quality and pee in the biryani to give it taste

Most restaurants are still charging this.

IMO it's better if they display it clearly in menu and charge it. If they increase cost of food items then I still have to tip them and pay additional gst on indirect service charge added to food price.

The court said that the stay is subject to the members of the petitioners ensuring that the levy of service charge in addition to the price and taxes and obligation of customer to pay the same is duly and prominently displayed on the menu or other places.

Further, the members will also undertake not to levy service charge on any take-away items, it added.

“If you don't want to pay, don't enter the restaurant. It is ultimately a question of choice. I have stayed the para 7 guidelines subject to these two conditions," the court said.

The court listed the matter for further hearing on November 25.

Disappointing. Service charge should not be levied on the bill by default. The decision to pay the tip or not should lie with the consumer. Almost all the restaurants levy service charge. The '' don't visit that place if you don't want to pay service charge " , wouldn't really work. The tipping culture is just trash.