Legal Issues: Hayai Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 24,515
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that too ambititous.....
A submarine cable costs millions of dollars if not billions. Frankly speaking Even if the market opens up more i can hardly see u in the same category like Bharti,Reliance,Tata Comm and pacnet, they are multi billion dollar conglomerates.

It depends on the length of the cable. But there's a lot of funding for these things so it shouldn't matter too much.

5 to 10 years, u had once said getting into any sort of a contract is detrimental as BW prices fall evry year/evey month?

IRU doesn't lock me in to a price.

and eventually i believe, some players would start concentrating on the wholesale market more... considering the competition in the consumer market would ensure low profits.

^^^ well i have said this earlier too....India's BB woes can be solved very well by the Cable ops.They have such a good reach and virtually no last mile connectivity problems. They only need a little tech upgrade.Cost of cable is low,CPE are dirt cheap,DOCSIS 3.0 can take the speeds well above 100Mbps...Companies like spectranet are working in this but it will take time. And if they really start to buy in volumes it can do wonders.I don't see any reason why we cant have our own Comcast or Time warner cable in USA they give tough competition to the TELCOs.

and eventually i believe, some players would start concentrating on the wholesale market more... considering the competition in the consumer market would ensure low profits.

Tata seems to already be doing that, I think... there doesn't seem to be much noise around their consumer broadband services of late. Of course, I may very well be missing something.

^^^ well i have said this earlier too....India's BB woes can be solved very well by the Cable ops.
They have such a good reach and virtually no last mile connectivity problems. They only need a little tech upgrade.
Cost of cable is low,CPE are dirt cheap,DOCSIS 3.0 can take the speeds well above 100Mbps...

But most of the cable operators are not using DOCSIS technology to begin with, so it's quite a major tech upgrade for many.

Companies like spectranet are working in this but it will take time.
And if they really start to buy in volumes it can do wonders.
I don't see any reason why we cant have our own Comcast or Time warner cable in USA they give tough competition to the TELCOs.

But that's half the issue - that's a few cable operators for the whole country, whereas in India you can find 2 or 3 in a single suburb, and they all buy off of different ISPs which is why there is such a huge variation in quality.

It would be good if there was less fragmentation in this market, then it would be easier for ISPs to have even better reach. I have to wonder if one company buying out a whole bunch of cablewalas might prove a good idea.

I am dragging topic to two pages back , but here is reality, have any one read the copyright act of 1957, it states that if the relevant work is done in india or by Indian origin author who is citizen of india at a time of creation or work is related to india then only copyright is substantiated here in India.I think it also takes a fee to file copyright.( correct me if I wrong) I dont see any Indian media doing that. Copyright law is from 1957 literally, the law is archaic. The law against digital piracy as it is written in OTHER countries, dosent hold here since this is not OTHER countryI dont think we will have problem regarding copyright of digi media here.and I dont know the status of affair as of now but in 2000 or so I remember going to local BSNL office to retrive my net password. A babu opened a file in front of me with ALL THE USERS and their passwords written in plain text.... so thats the privacy in india right there.

But most of the cable operators are not using DOCSIS technology to begin with, so it's quite a major tech upgrade for many.

Technolgy will not be a problem as ISP will rent/channel their BB through the cable op. so they will take care of that.

But that's half the issue - that's a few cable operators for the whole country, whereas in India you can find 2 or 3 in a single suburb, and they all buy off of different ISPs which is why there is such a huge variation in quality.

It would be good if there was less fragmentation in this market, then it would be easier for ISPs to have even better reach. I have to wonder if one company buying out a whole bunch of cablewalas might prove a good idea.

Consolidation is happening, big players will inevitably come into play. The cable industry cant virtually survive if that does not happen, DTH will tear them into pieces. The only hatiyar is triple play.

Tata seems to already be doing that, I think... there doesn't seem to be much noise around their consumer broadband services of late. Of course, I may very well be missing something.

tata has officially moved to SME provider business, no retailing any more. if u want a connection u have to show that ur a business.

tata has officially moved to SME provider business, no retailing any more. if u want a connection u have to show that ur a business.
really , any link to that news?

no news, but actual experience, while taking a new connection, I was inquiring about and got a leaflet by their representative, he told me I need a letter head asking for connection and also their plans ar targetted towards such SME's , these SME's are now mostly cyber cafe's.

I am dragging topic to two pages back , but here is reality, have any one read the copyright act of 1957, it states that if the relevant work is done in india or by Indian origin author who is citizen of india at a time of creation or work is related to india then only copyright is substantiated here in India.
I think it also takes a fee to file copyright.( correct me if I wrong) I dont see any Indian media doing that. Copyright law is from 1957 literally, the law is archaic. The law against digital piracy as it is written in OTHER countries, dosent hold here since this is not OTHER country
I dont think we will have problem regarding copyright of digi media here.

What you're probably confused with is things like registered trademarks and so on, but published works automatically become copyrighted if the copyright symbol is used, otherwise it can be released under license. The fact that the law is from 1957 doesn't mean it's archaeic as a concept, but there are many things it does not take in to account.

and I dont know the status of affair as of now but in 2000 or so I remember going to local BSNL office to retrive my net password. A babu opened a file in front of me with ALL THE USERS and their passwords written in plain text.... so thats the privacy in india right there.

That's awful. I don't think it's changed much though, the authorities require that we have password access to a list of all our subscribers available online.

Technolgy will not be a problem as ISP will rent/channel their BB through the cable op. so they will take care of that.

The question will be: can the cable operators handle it? And should they? Personally I'd prefer my ISP owned it's infrastructure.

Consolidation is happening, big players will inevitably come into play. The cable industry cant virtually survive if that does not happen, DTH will tear them into pieces. The only hatiyar is triple play.

Triple play is an excellent sales opportunity. If VOIP became less restricted in India, it could be done much better.

They still have consumer plans, but I don't think they're actively trying to increase their numbers at the moment... Tata seems to be in "wait and see" mode - but they have a very strong leased-line business, so they're not worried.

They still have consumer plans, but I don't think they're actively trying to increase their numbers at the moment... Tata seems to be in "wait and see" mode - but they have a very strong leased-line business, so they're not worried.

for an outsider u seems to get information pretty quickly... i thought u said u are not aware of the situation few posts ago.... how do u do it ?

for an outsider u seems to get information pretty quickly... i thought u said u are not aware of the situation few posts ago.... how do u do it ?

Which situation am I not aware of? Do you mean this post:

Quote Originally Posted by operamaniac View Post
By this I mean, I'm not currently in India so I don't see if Tata is advertising anything other than DoCoMo - I've not seen much in the way of advertising for their consumer broadband services. Even when I was last in India there wasn't much, except some cryptic campaign centered around "digital Mumbai" or something, but after checking that website (if I was a consumer) I'd probably have got confused and left it.

I don't keep track of absolutely everything that goes on in the telecoms world, but when I need to find information it helps to know where to look. I'm also not an outsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.