Legal Issues: Hayai Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 24,522
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

@mgcarley . The link you gave was the wrong one at your first post. The link should have been The Hindu Business Line : Copyright notices to ISPs on the rise

My bad. Thanks for the correction

Now BSA or Business Software Alliance is a front organization for Microsoft. Everybody knows that and that's why its always wise to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

...Microsoft and others. Similar to the RIAA/MPAA.

As far as the IT Amendment Act 2008 is concerned, I had been saddened by that .

As others have noted, the Act gives wide-ranging powers to the establishment.

It's pretty sad, yes.

I don't want to go into details but somebody who knows his way around can easily take an identity of the guy sitting in front of you (I mean by online activities of course).

[Slightly OT]

While on the subject, I have also heard stories of girls and women being harassed by cops as they were using Internet services in a cyber-cafe. The cops want 'baksheesh' or they think the girl/woman is a whore.

This incident had been told/shared to me by few women when I was in Mumbai/Bombay. I do not really know prevalent this practice is. [/OT]

I've not heard that happening IN Mumbai - more in other cities... Delhi seems to be in my mind but I may be wrong - I think we probably both saw the same article(s) in the Times of India.

On the Airtel incident, it appears there was malice or bad intent on part of some Airtel employees towards the concerned person as well.

The concerned person was supposed to get married when the incident happened 🙁

That's terrible. No bad will towards Airtel as a company, but I hope he gets his 20Cr.

I've not heard that happening IN Mumbai - more in other cities... Delhi seems to be in my mind but I may be wrong - I think we probably both saw the same article(s) in the Times of India.

Nope did hear it from people in Mumbai.

I did another post and this tells/shares the pathetic situation that atleast the cyber-cafe owners near my neighborhood do.

Nope did hear it from people in Mumbai.

I did another post and this tells/shares the pathetic situation that atleast the cyber-cafe owners near my neighborhood do.

At the end of the day it comes down to the Cyber Cafe's bottom line. Although charging Rs20/h for use of their resources, thats only really good if their cyber cafe is full. The local Reliance one near Shivaji Park rarely is, but it's also way more expensive than your typical.

It's a similar situation pretty much anywhere in South/South-East Asia, and realistically, at the end of the day, it comes down to buyer beware. You never know what's on those machines.

At least all the computers in the Helsinki City Public Libraries are all Linux based, so you can be relatively sure there is no crapware on them, and this is the type of setup I would have for my rural users if/when we start doing this type of thing (computers are still a luxury item, ya know!)

Do we have any Indian laws which restricts us from downloading piracy material? I have been trying to find it from a while

Do we have any Indian laws which restricts us from downloading piracy material? I have been trying to find it from a while

I think the copyright act is from 1957, however there are things like the IT act which have some limited coverage in there somewhere.

Now who the F$ck cares about piracy after spending 1000's for an internet?????

You should care about piracy no matter how much you spend on Internet.

wots the reason behind torrent sites hosting From Sweden .. No copyright laws there???

No, just sane ones.

Of course, now the US puts diplomatic pressure on Sweden... I'd like to see them try that with India!!

No, just sane ones.

Of course, now the US puts diplomatic pressure on Sweden... I'd like to see them try that with India!!

It wont happen, BTw This is India!

I think there is a law here in India but no 1 follows. DD$, H$$t etc r some FAMOUS uploading team and till now they are uploading it on torrents.
Its good that they r helping users to get what they want by just a click of a mouse.

And who will purchase for eg say a DVD, if it turns to be a bad movie, then any1 would get pi$$ed off that their cash got wasted.

In India, buy the time you take in to account the price of a pirate copy of the DVD against the cost of electricity and price of Internet, it probably doesn't turn out too different anyway.

That's the conundrum of providing digital services - it's difficult to put a price tag on something that's not necessarily there physically (that is, 1s and 0s).

Lol ! besides the movie makers are earning big bucks anyways.

You mean studios.

U are LEGAL dude MG, but we are consumers, and we think in the different ways.

Afcourse u won't tell openly what u must be downloading in torrents bcause, now ur a business man and do each & everything legally.

And mayb just to show people here that u r innocent and never even downloaded any movies online in torrents, u compare electric cost with dvd.

Where do you come up with these crazy ideas? I'm not saying that I'd never download at all. Quite the opposite. I've openly admitted to using torrents, even within the last 48 hours.

I don't download any hollywood stuff though because I find most of it to be utter shit, but otherwise I have accounts on a few private trackers for obtaining content that I otherwise can't get (legal or not) or otherwise certain things which I can already obtain legally through either Sky or TVNZ's "ondemand" services or whatever, except that there are certain things which I reserve the right to download to watch at my convenience in case I'm offline. I'm also a big user of Miro.

Most of my music is in the public domain, so that's usually OK to download anyway.

I don't go around pirating huge amounts of movies or TV shows by choice - as I mentioned, I find most of it to be crap - but I'd like to know that I have the freedom to do so and it's nice knowing that I have a sufficiently quick internet connection that I'm not waiting for 9 hours to get something if I want.

^^Whats your current internet connection speed?

15mbit/s If im not wrong!

On my ADSL connection, yes. They say "full line speed", but the copper kills off about 33% of the potential. That's why I'm so in to fiber. We've only got about 500m to go (as the bird flies) before Hayai's fiber will reach my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.