LED TV from Malaysia or Singapore

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 7160
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 35,922
D

Deleted member 7160

Would be travelling to Malaysia and Singapore in March & would like to buy an LED TV. I have zeroed in on https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/Products/Television/40ES5600_40ES5600 The cost on online Samsung store is 62K, But the prices in retail is almost 52K.

Am basically looking for 40" LED full HD. In case there are any other models which are similar specs (Sony/LG), Please recommend me.

Also, If anyone has bought TV from the above countries let me know the shops and the procedure from customs.

Thanks!

My cousin is going to Bangkok next week and I am getting either this or 40EH5000 through him. This costs the equivalent of around 30k INR (EH5000 is ~25k, same thing without the Smart TV stuff) there. The price in Malaysia should be similar. In Kuala Lumpur, you should check out Low Yat Plaza, has most of the electronic showrooms. I doubt you'll get cheaper prices in Singapore, most of the electronic items I saw there were as/more expensive than India. Regarding customs etc. ill update you next week if he does manage to get it.

Upvote 0
Great! Just let me know the procedure. BTW, I have heard that TV's upto 40" are exempted from customs.

Upvote 0
From what I have gathered, the official line is based on price and not size. Its upto 35k INR (if you went for >3 days). If the TV costs more than 35k INR (according to their valuation), then the duty is around 36% on the amount by which it exceeds 35k. But the general experience seems to be that with 32" TV's, they rarely bother. 40", depends, the officials at Bangalore/Chennai airports seem to be stricter as opposed to others.

Upvote 0
36%..Freak! And I would be landing in Bangalore 😕Also, Will it be okey to carry the TV from MY to SG? As I would be traveling to SG from MY by train..and then take the flight back home from SG.

Upvote 0
the 36% is only on the amount by which it exceeds 35k. So for a 40k TV, it will be ~1.5k

BTW, was browsing through todays ebay emails and saw this: SAMSUNG 40" UA 40ES5600 SMART LED TV WITH WIFI DONGLE +BILL+1YEAR DEALER WARRANT | eBay

This is what the FAQ says:

1)WHY THE PRICE IS CHEAPER THAN THE MARKET?

BECAUSE THIS TV IS AN IMPORT PIECE FROM SINGAPORE AND IS NOT FROM SAMSUNG INDIA , THE PRICE FOR THE TV IS CHEAPER IN OTHER COUNTRIES AS COMPARED TO SAMSUNG INDIA PRICING , WE IMPORT THESE TVS IN BULK FROM SINGAPORE AND SELL IT HERE .

So I guess there must be some place in Singapore where you get this TV for cheap.

Upvote 0
I got a LG 37" Full HD LED from KL about 7 months back for approx 28K INR, from a regular mall. There was some sort of special going on then. No issue at customs, just walk out.Singapore there is a Singh's shop behind Mustafa who is very popular and has fixed rates. I got my iPhone from him.

Upvote 0
Okay, so cousin got the TV, just took it from him.Its the 40ES5600, costed him 19k baht ~35k INR (Credit Card)...he did get a 7% VAT refund on the airport, but IndiGo airlines charges ~1350 baht for carrying TV's > 39" so that VAT refund went to that. Net cost was 35k. No customs was charged, he simply walked out of the green channel and was not stopped. He told me that 95% of the people on the flight were carrying TV's. Some were even carrying 2. And all except one were Samsung TV's.Also called Samsung just now for installation, they told me that the person who comes for installation will tell me whether I would be charged for installation or not depending on the serial number.

Upvote 0
Great! Now tell us the performance of the TV. Am also planning to buy the same TV and I have heard that its not good for small room viewing? My viewing distance will be 10 feet.I will be coming via AirAsia from SG and will be landing in Bangalore.

Upvote 0
If you guys are planning on a 3d tv,please look for bundle offers for tv+brd player.i hear they have some great offers out there in singapore

Upvote 0
Got the TV installed an hour back. Really impressive picture quality. You realize the difference when you move up from a 32" videocon tv. 1080p looks gorgeous. I don't think 10 ft. viewing distance would be a problem, i am viewing it from around 12-13 ft. and it looks fine. There is an android app which you can use to control the TV.

Upvote 0
Great! Thanks for the review.Another thing, what are the charges if I swipe my Citibank CC in SG?

Upvote 0
He bought via SBI Credit Card and was charged 2% extra. it came to ~35.1k in Indian currency and he was charged ~35.8k. BTW the Samsung guy took 1k for installation since it was wall mounted, he had to install the wall mount etc.oh and BTW Malaysia is apparently considered a "high risk" country. When I went there and came back, I received a call from RBS and my mom and dad from ICICI and SBI that we would be issued new credit cards because these ones had been used in Malaysia.

Upvote 0