• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 4,778

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,I know a bit about Linux, mainly Fedora distro. I have a laptop which has Windows XP and does not have much space on the hard disk, so I can not install Linux by going for another partition. Is there a version of Linux (distro I mean) which can be used as a live CD or DVD version, but stored on a USB pen drive of 8 GB or more?I want a distro that can be used from a pen drive (of enough capacity 10 GB etc) to learn all about Linux without having to install in on the hard drive. By all means PHP, MySQL, Apache, other servers and more complicated stuff/settings. Is it possible to do so just with a pen drive?Please guide me, thanks

Hi..
Almost any linux distribution can be installed on a Pen drive/USB Flash/Hard disk.
If You have 4GB or more pen drive, you can install your linux distro on pen drive.
You can run linux from your pendrive too as live operating system. For PHP, MySQL, Apache, other servers and more complicated stuff/settings you need a decent sized pen drive say 16GB and this is liitle costly comparing to traditional Hard-disks.

For installing linux on pen-drive , plug in a blank pen-drive(4gb or more), insert linux installation cd/dvd. Restart. Chose to install your operating system on that pen-drive(you need to format it under installation process), select boot loader in your main hard disk, do not use swap partion. Install and restart when required. Eject cd/dvd. Note: you must plug in your pen-drive when using linux.

For live version use Unetbootin for creating live USB disk from Windows.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Try Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

If you are from Kolkata I can give you free linux distribution you want.

Any linux distribution can be installed on a Pen drive..

For PHP, MySQL, Apache, other servers and more complicated stuff/settings you need a decent sized pen drive say 16GB and this is liitle costly comparing to traditional Hard-disks.

For installing linux on pen-drive , plug in a blank pen-drive(4gb or more), insert linux installation cd/dvd. Restart. Chose to install your operating system on that pen-drive(you need to format it under installation process), select boot loader in your main hard disk, do not use swap partion. Install and restart when required. Eject cd/dvd. Note: you must plug in your pen-drive when using linux.

Hi iijmanojit,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful reply. Since I am not Linux savvy, please do help me with the following. Sorry, if they are stupid questions.

1. I have an old laptop with Windows XP on given by my company. It has all the legal versions of software on it. It has only one OS and that is Win XP with no partition or any other OS. So if I decide to download Ubuntu then I go to this page.

Download | Ubuntu

Here in the first section titled Download Ubuntu Desktop Edition , which one should I download from the dropdown menu? Ubuntu 10.10 Latest Version or Ubuntu 10.04 - LTS?

What is the difference if any?

2. If I do download any one of the above mentioned 2 versions of Ubuntu, will it have all the servers, Apache, MySQL, Office etc? I just want to use my USB pen drive of more than 4 GB just like any other hard drive. I also want to save office documents and also do some changes/settings/modifications within Ubuntu on the pen drive. Will it save all the changes/settings and created files/documets etc.

3. On the same download page there is another links as follows:

Other ways to get Ubuntu
Order CDs >
Ubuntu Server Edition>
Ubuntu Netbook Edition>

Download | Ubuntu

I am not sure whether I should download the Ubuntu Server Edition. Does the new Ubuntu 10.10 has all the servers and technically complicated things (generally handled by experience Linux admins etc.)

4. Once I download Ubuntu on my Windows XP hard drive, I need to burn it to a CD/DVD and then insert this Cd/DVD into the drive and at the same time insert the pen drive and then restart the pc, right? So both the Cd/DVD and pen drive should be inserted while restarting the pc, am I correct here?

5. I have asked and they say 16 GB pen drive costs around 1200 Rs. But as per your own experience will this size 16 GB be ok considering the fact that I will create and save files/documents/images/videos (using Open Office etc.) and make complicated server etc. settings? I hope 16 GB is more than enough.

Thanks...

Hi thanks for asking. Curiosity is what I like, and I never mind.
I am not answering your question on number basis but as a elaborated type. So please read mecyfully as I am liitle novice with queen's language(which is obviously English).
Ubuntu 10.04 is Long Term Support realease and Ubuntu 10.10 is normal release. Ubuntu 10.10 is latest. LTS realese can be upgraded directly to any future release but normal release can only be upgraded to next release. For 10.04 version, it can be upgraded to any of 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04 versions.
But 10.10 can be directly upgraded to 11.04 only.
Desktop edition is for normal desktop users. Netbook edition is created for touch optimized and lighter netbooks.
I recomend you Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop edition (32bit).
Ubuntu comes preinstalled with Open Office 3.2.1. Optional MySQL, Apache needs to be downloaded. For default intsllation of Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop 2.6Gb is needed.
Server Edition is meant for hosting and other server activities. I don't know whether it has Mysql, Apache.
Look for storage you dont need extra storage, you can still access your windows partitions, you can store your documents there. But you cant access linux (ext4) partiotions from windows (without special softwares, such as Ext2Read).
16GB may not be enough for extra critical settings, but I have little semi-critical settings, me using only 8GB space on my hard disk though I store documents on my windows partitions.

For installation via USB:
Download Unetbootin

Install it in Windows XP,. Run it. Hope you have already downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 desktop iso file (Download).

click ok(make sure you have an FAT or FAT32 formatted usbdrive with sufficient space insterted. Here E is my usb-drive letter.) Restart and boot into USB-drive(select F12 or DEL for boot option)

The above is for installation from usb-drive.

But if you need to install Ubuntu in usb-drive, just burn the iso file in a cd/dvd. Restart your pc, plug in the usb-drive(where you want to install Ubuntu). Chose to install Ubuntu, select USB-drive location. Select to format it in EXT4 partition, and mount point as "/". Boot loader shouldbe selected in your main Harddisk(not in sub drive as C:,D🙂.
Install Ubuntu.
This will make your Laptop dual boot. But you need to plug in that usb-drive when you want to install Ubuntu.
This may be diffficult for new user but not that difficult, you can consult experienced friends.

Hi,You have earlier given to me some good info. I am likely to purchase a 16 GB pen drive soon and will install Linux on this pen-drive after downloading it from the net. Now please tell me which one I should download on my pc which has only 512 MB of RAM and a cpu with 1.5 GHZ speed. Shoud I go for Fedora or Ubuntu or something else? Please guide me here, thanks

in that case live cd of ubuntu is also good option .. just insert the cd boot from cd and you are in linux .. ...beside that there is one more option of VMWare workstation is there .. you can keep the os file on pendrive ...

@techtataGo with Lubuntu or Xubuntu which.If you can upgrade your RAM to 1GB, you can easily use UBUNTU 10.10 (x86 or you can say 32bit version).You can also use Kubuntu or Ubuntu 10.10 x86 but don't ever run any heavy application. Again when installing try to have atleast 512MB swap space.Thanks

i used to use knoppix...very good all apps&OS on DVD else ubuntu live..