Latest updates to One Day International Rules

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 2,683
Till now u cud dismiss a batsman in these ways,

That's it. You could dismiss them this way, simply means they are existing rules.

I really don't know whether there is any authentic ICC communication (not a media created hype about these) saying that these are new rules. Even if so, it could be that some fine print changed somewhere.

----------

Even if so, it could be that some fine print changed somewhere.

Just checked. Yes, it is a fine print change.
E.g. India-England series to be played under new ICC rules : Cricket: News India Today shows the difference between new and old rule.

Two things have changed: Point of bowling action till the bowler could run the non striker out and that if run out happens the ball won't be counted.

Rule of running non-striker out was scrapped few year's back.. Its now reimplemented. I dont understand why though.

Point of bowling action till the bowler could run the non striker out

Now that is evident enuf from the first post!

Rule of running non-striker out was scrapped few year's back.. Its now reimplemented. I dont understand why though.

Quite unlikely that it was scrapped as not having such rule would give undue advantage to batting side. Do you have any link that says so?

The rule was always there. It has just been made a little stricter as the link in post 16 describes.

Well MCC has rights to alter the laws of cricket.

I cant find out exact article which states that MCC scrapped it but if you see the following article from CRICINFO, it clearly talks abt bringing the same rule back!

So it indirectly means that the rule of allowing bowler to RUNOUT non-striker before delivery was scrapped at some point of time in the past and cricinfo wanted it back.

Cricinfo XI: Laws that need changing | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Disallow backing up
The running out of a non-striker was, for some odd reason, always deemed unsporting, but attempts by the batsman to steal ground on the fielding side are not?
it is utterly inconsistent to allow the non-striker to gain an advantage of this magnitude."

When the MCC decided the non-striker could not be run out it inadvertently legitimised cheating.

A bad law change not thought through. Reverse it and let the umpire decide if a batsman has genuinely been hard done by.

----------

Also if you think, why wud they say "new laws or change in laws", if that rule existed currently?? So as I said (and by memory) the rule was scrapped but now they have brought it back and hence termed as "law/rule changes"

Funny.1. I have cited above the India Today article that shows how the rule has just been made stricter. It was already in force.2. Cricket can't just be played by letting the non striker take a start while the bowler is in his bowling action. The rule has been in force for ages and was never scrapped. If it was ever scrapped, you'd have seen the non strikers going down the pitch on every delivery.3. In last India-England series an English bowler even attempted to get Suresh Rain out this way though Rain had his bat grounded in time.4. I see most news reporters making a news out of it as if it's a new rule on TV channels and most viewers believe that that's the case. That's unfortunate.