ISP
Aitel U/L 512kbps
I was thinking of buying a new notebook for somewhere around 60k

I have the following options in mind :

HP Pavilion dv6516TX Rs. 54, 000
Apple MacBook (MB061ZP/A ) Rs. 58, 000
Dell Inspiron(TM) 1520 Rs. 42, 000
Dell XPS M1330 Rs. 58, 000

What do you guys think I should to go for?
I basically require it for entertainment as well as utility purposes.
Could I possibly get a good 17" notebook for somewhere around 60k ?

One more thing, would it actually be wise to go in for a mac in india? And is the mac really customizable like a windows PC in terms of the software available and future hardware upgrades. And is it hackable like one's windows pc? Is a 13.3" screen actually viewable? 😛 The model I've linked to comes with Tiger and if I require Leapord I would have to pay for an upgrade. What do you guys think. I''m really confused. I have a windows desktop at home and I'm itching to make a switch. How good is a mac for programming and all because I will be using it extensively for my college work. I'm an Apple wannabe and would really appreciate some advice.

get a Dell, whichever one fits your budget 😛whatever you do, get 2gb ram, then think about other parts to fit your budget.Apple is POS platform IMO ... overhyped and overpriced

thx vishal... but any recommendations... something you personally feel is good from the Dell stable?well you just quietened my excitement about Apple 😛 I'm back to the normal mode now.

with a bigger screen size like 17", the weight will also be more in 13.3" screens, if u want to watch movies, it would not be much fun thats the reason why i would recommend 14.1 - 15.4" screens btw i use HP notebook & its performance and services are too good

17" exceeds 60k so I'll settle for a 15.4".
Vista with AERO would satisy my want for some nice GUI.

Dell is giving a good deal here... Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook
Click on customize to view two premade configs. Quite nice indeed.

HP India's website seems to be down atm.

anymore inputs?

if you wanna carry u r laptop daily buy a 13 inch Dell xps...trust me.. even carrying around a 14 inch inspiron feels heavy 🙁 also 13 and 14 inch laptops are convenient while keeping on your lap 😀and other small spaces for working sometime while the 15 inchers and above are not.. but if you are not going to carry it around much.. get a 15 inch

as vishal suggested, get whatever Dell fits in your budget.some maintenance going on dell site, so cant customize. but i think the one you chose would be decent.and actually a macbook is very nice. but considering the cost, that too inflated india price, its better to not go for it.

ya uthfull, i cant recommend anything from personal experience coz i have an old Sony vaio and a new HP pavilion tablet, both of which are really good.but Dell looks good on paper and they have a good reputation anyways.i am recommending the dell xps to my sis and the inspiron 14/15 to my uncle for their purchases coming up soon 🙂oh, and one disadvantage of the smaller models is low battery life, my hp does about 2 hrs only but i got the larger battery also which should get it upto 3 hrs. if you want good battery life get the larger battery in the 14 or 15 inch dells ...in any case with super fast CPUs and GPUs in laptops these days and vista being a hog you cant expect better battery life!

@DigitalDude :Heheheh... I'm quite a bulky guy myself... I think I can manage a lil weight... @viralbug:Thats what... i read excellent reviews of the website. Just that it gets a little hot but all sites suggest that it is as good as a macbook pro and even better in some cases. Its just the 13.3" screen and switching over to OSX which is a little problem for me. And for 58K, I get a Vista ntbk with a lot better configuration. The dealer in Chandigarh told me that it would come with Tiger and I could upgrade to Leapord for 500 bux. But I've heard that Apple withdrew its PC operations in India so dat's making me a little skeptical. I really wanna get hold of a MAC, but considering I'm getting a faster and a better Vista PC, do you guys still feel it is safe and is it worth making a switch? Its not a common sense question, its just that is a MAC really worth it? Is it really like a windows PC where you can possibly do anything with a simple tweak here and another hack there...@vishalrao:Im thinking of the Dell inspiron too now with a good custom config. How good is an XPS as compared to an inspiron?

check out the Dell vostro series too.xps is good if you can do with the 13.3" screen, else inspiron or vostro is good .

uthfull, there are some differences between xps/inspiron (vostro not sure)... for example in xps m1330 you only have option of 5400rpm HDD and nvidia 8400 not 8600. in inspiron (cant remember 14 or 15 inch) you can choose nvidia 8600 and a 7200 rpm HDD.also some of the inspiron models you can pick higher resolution for your screen for example 1440x900 instead of 1280x800 i believe...just browse around the site you'll find out.

dont go for vostro.. its for small biz.. some warranty and added care are cumpulsory with it.. and not much graphics... dont ever look into vostro 😀 and regarding xps... adding to vishal's post.. i feel xps is real sexy laptop compared to inspiron but yeah having just the 8400 is a bummer...

@viralbug:I think I'll settle for the inspiron now... want a coloured laptop 😛@vishalrao:I browsed thru the site... I think the Inspiron 1520 model with a lil customiztion n a lil colour wud do...@DigitialDude:Ya I tried to customize vostro according to my own needs n it turned out to be more expensive that the othersThanks guys, then its decided!! I'll be goin in for a Dell... 1520 Inspiron.Any ideas about the colour now 😛Blue, White or plain Black?

i like black, gray or silver myself 🙂you didnt mention your budget (prices in first post under 60k) but you can get a mean 1520 machine for Rs 80k...c2d 2 ghz 4mb cache, 2gb ram, 200gb 7200 rpm HDD, nvdia 8600, WSXGA LCD (1680x1050)... drool...and damn the HP laptop site is unavailable today, wanted to check out their models for my uncle...

Vishal I'm getting the config you just mentioned apart from the 200gb hdd n wsxga screen. I'm leaving the standard options there and I comfortably get a system just under 60k