Laptop Suggestions Please :)

Abdul Kareem

ISP
Beam Fibre 1 Mbps
Hi guys,This is my first post, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section. I've been following this forum for quite an while and I'm convinced that this is the right place to ask this question 😉So. I have to buy a laptop for my sister. The budget is 30-35k. It should be stylish and at the same time have nice features. My mind is inclined towards Sony Vaio. I hope you guys help me in the decision. It a little urgent as I have to decide within a few days 🙂

Avoid Sony. Go instead for a Dell Inspiron or one of those Compaq ones which come with colorful lids. You should be able to get i5 models without Windows for around 33 - 35K

stay away from Dell please. their customer care in india is horrible. dell uses horrible batteries in their laptops.

----------

also would be good if you can tell more about your expectations. you have told us your budget... some other information would be helpful.

what is the purpose of the machine. what would it be used for.
do you have any specific processor in mind? AMD? Intel?
do you want it with Windows? or you can handle that on your own?

Sony Vaio is a good option to go for. Samsung also has some interesting laptops available today. Lenovo is another option worth checking out. Though Vaio seems like a good option if it is to be used by your sister.

Sony makes some pretty awesome looking laptops, but they like are like blondes. I have seen very high failure rates on Sony laptops and their parts aren't cheap either. It is like they make you pay for the 'brand value' - whatever they have in this segment that is.

Nobody talking about Toshiba? They are supposed to be better than most brands for build quality, reliability and decent specs at good price points.

I've checked the flipkart list already but I don't believe that only specs matter so I thought it better to ask experienced ppl 🙂As for the purpose, I told you it's for my sister who's not so tech savvy and doesn't want to play games too. She wants a stylish one so decided Sony VAIO. She'a a student so the uses would basically be internet surfing (good wifi), pdf and other documents viewing, a good webcam, movies (so a good HD storage is expected), not much multi-tasking (so can compromise with the RAM). And an Intel processor would be better as I've heard it's performance and power effeciency is better than AMD.And the lesser the price the better, even though I've told 30-35k, it's always better to save money if it's possible 🙂

In that case, check out the Samsung range. They have been around for sometime now and I haven't heard complaints from them - atleast not worse than the lot. What you get though is a super value as most of the components are their own and so they can pass on some of the cost benefits.

i had suggest getting a laptop with no OS so that you can load some good looking Linux distribution on it. but that would be very naive of me. 🙁 amd apu based laptops are a good option. these machines are likely to be cheaper while still delivering good performance overall.

I don't think AMD laptops are battery friendly. Also the company is in a mess now. The advantage they had in the earlier years over Intel isn't there anymore and Intel makes almost similar stuff with the advantage of backing from a much larger network.

stay away from Dell please. their customer care in india is horrible. dell uses horrible batteries in their laptops.

Can you please elaborate. I am planning to get New lappy from Dell.