Laptop Linux Shootout :-)

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 11,695
on my Dell laptop , vista runs much hotter than Fedora. Like Vishal said, default speed is 800Mhz on each core, only going to full 1600 when I do any compiling or other heavy work.

right. plus newer kernels are "tickless" which is the "nohz" or CONFIG_NO_HZ option. supposedly less cpu wakeups during idle. but a recent blog post mentioned even though the kernel is supposed to have less battery drain due to less cpu wakeups, the various userspace daemons are the culprit for continuously polling causing the cpu to not go to sleep.

it was on slashdork 🙂 Slashdot | Ubuntu's Power Consumption Tested

Yes..you can actually use powertop utility to see wich processes are causing the max wakeups...

In addition to the fingerprint reader post above, there was a slashdork article today saying that the Linux Driver Project has 300+ developers and a shortage of unsupported devices to work on!

So I visited http://linuxdriverproject.org/ and noticed they have fingerprint readers mentioned. One page says they need devices/drivers for the AuthenTec AES2501/1610 models. Another page says there is no need for a kernel driver just an external scanner driver which is being worked on by someone from Gentoo Linux.

So I emailed both the Linux Driver Project lead Greg and the Gentoo guy, "DSD" , got a reply from "DSD" pointing me to his blog at dsd’s weblog I've also signed up on the "dpfp-dev" mailing list mentioned on the blog.

Will spend some weekend time testing/playing with any fingerprint reader code.

Hopefully some fingerprint reader login support will be present before the next round of Linux distro releases like Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron!

Couple more links:
PowerPoint Presentation
Fingerprint Verification System by Shivang Patel