Landline issue with bridge mode..

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber
Hi,

I've been using Airtel Xstream fiber since 2019 and in mid 2020 had setup the Huawei 8145v5 ONT in bridge mode with Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 and been using it without any major issues since then.

Couple of weeks back, I've taken static ip too and everything is fine. But on 12th March 2023, my land line stopped working suddenly while internet is working. The indicator on the ont which generally stays on when landine was working, now started blinking and there is engaged tone on the receiver. No incoming/outgoing calls either.

Raised an SR on 12th. Technician came and I explained the issue. Nothing happened for 5 days and the SR got closed on 16th. I raised another SR on 16th. This time the technician informed that there is some back end issue and they will try the setup again after resetting the Huawei ont. But it didn't work. They changed the router to Dasan. Internet is fine, but landline not working as usual. Again changed Dasan ont to Nokia ont. Same scene repeats.

Yesterday evening, somehow the landline started working and when the technician tried to close the SR, it stopped working.

I'm waiting for the resolution now.

Couple of questions.
Is the bridge mode linked to land line in any way and is it the cause now. Hope its not.

If its back again, will ask the technician to setup bridge mode on Nokia ont through backend and have given heads up to him already. Which is the best ont for setting up bridge mode other than Huawei.

Any clues on what is causing the issue with landline. Any possible resolution for the same. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
VOIP and Internet have different VLANs, so if the bridging has been done correctly landline should not have an issue. Check VLANs for both VOIP and Internet in your ONT and in your Asus, check which VLAN is configured(it should be the Internet VLAN from the ONT).

Recently, airtel has made bridging even easier that you don't even need to use VLAN, while configuring bridge in the downstream router. Export your current settings, and try the setup without a VLAN, if this isn't already the case.