Kevin Pietersen forced to retire

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 12,696
He deserves it. We may not know what derogatory SMSes he had sent about his team-mates to the rival team but his attitude over last 2 months was like "Cricket needs me, I don't need Cricket"

ICC World Twenty20 : Kevin Pietersen misses World T20; Luke Wright, Michael Lumb recalled | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

"Kevin Pietersen's future involvement is still being determined and he was therefore not considered for selection in either squad."

Pietersen's omission was expected following the controversial last few weeks which included being dropped for the final Test against South Africa at Lord's. Although he apologised to the ECB for 'provocative' texts he sent to South African players during the Headingley Test the board have indicated there will not be any swift conclusion and return for Pietersen.

Pietersen was Man of the Tournament in the Caribbean when England won their first global trophy, but in June retired from limited-overs internationals after deciding to quit 50-over cricket which made him unavailable for Twenty20 under the terms of the central contracts. However, following the Headingley Test against South Africa he had a u-turn and via a video on YouTube made himself available for all international cricket before, the next day, being left out of the Test side.

I wonder what would be the next move.

===============

If it was a player from Pakistan, he would have retired from all formats, then some player would have got injured and he would be named as replacement. But its England here, so it might be something new/different.

lol

Note: Satire.

Imran Yusuf: Kevin Pietersen signs for Pakistan | Page 2 | ESPN Cricinfo

In a shocking development, Kevin Pietersen has signed for Pakistan.

At a hastily convened press conference in Lahore, Pietersen was quick to emphasise that his move was not motivated by money. "It's a freedom thing," said the 32-year-old batsman. "There's a flexibility about Pakistan which will suit my style."

Pressed on this point, Pietersen expressed an affinity with the driving habits of his new compatriots. "On the way from the airport to the PCB, I saw SUVs flatten cyclists, I saw sedans cut across three lanes to take a sharp left turn, I saw 17 children in a back seat, I saw a goat stuffed between a married couple on a motorbike. I saw my future here. It's a place you can do what you want."

The talented strokemaker said he hoped to follow an esteemed tradition of middle-order batsmen from the country, listing Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad and VVS Laxman as heroes. "Also, I'm just being honest, but my doosra is better than Saeed Ajmal's," Pietersen said in a humble voice.

The addition of such a star figure in the dressing room is bound to spice up an already hot-headed Pakistan team. Does Pietersen want the captaincy? "No, no, no. This is another reason I'll be happier here. In England there was always insecurity from the leader because I was the only ex-captain in the team. In Pakistan there are usually five or six."

Pietersen also expressed gratitude at the instant hospitality of his new nation. "In the chairman's office I was looking at a map of Pakistan. In the north-west there was a large province called K-P. I pointed at it and said 'Hey!' and the chairman smiled and said the province had recently been renamed. I must say, I have had many welcomes, but nobody has ever named a whole part of a country after me."

There was but one minor note of discord when a reporter asked Pietersen how he intended to play for the Delhi Daredevils in next year's IPL, given that Pakistanis have been given the cold shoulder for the past three seasons. A sudden expression of horror came to his face, as if he had just been told Andy Flower was marrying his sister. Pietersen put one hand over the microphone and whispered frantically into the ear of the PCB official by his side. At this point the power went, a common occurrence in Punjab of late. In the hot, dark silence of that moment, all that could be heard was a strange, orphaned cry, with an accent part Natal, part southern England, part Eurotrash, a haunting voice from everywhere and nowhere, which muttered: "Will the internet still work? I need to get on Twitter."

An unidentified voice replied "No", and, with that the press conference ended and the next great, unpredictable chapter in Kevin Pietersen's career began.

is it me or he is turning into a ganguly for the english cricket board? 😀

You can say that or he is becoming like one of the Pakistani cricketers ... Retires/Unretires - CheckProblem with Coach when captain - Check Fights/Complaints with other team-mates - Check

Kevin Pietersen rejected offer of four-month contract with England hours before being left out of India tour - Telegraph

Pietersen’s return to the England fold was dependent on agreeing a set of conditions which included waiving his rights to any future legal action in employment disputes with the England and Wales Cricket Board, issuing another public apology for sending text messages to the South African side and pulling out at the last minute from a contract to provide studio analysis from the World Twenty20 for Asian-based broadcaster ESPN.

On Monday, Pietersen wrote to the ECB turning down the four-month contract which came with no assurances for the future. He also believes he made enough compromises after apologising in person to Andrew Strauss and publicly on the eve of the Lord’s Test last month.

He also met with other members of the England management when it is understood he guaranteed his commitment to playing all forms of international cricket for England until the end of the next World Cup in 2015.

On a day when fresh details of the frenetic negotiations between Pietersen and the board emerged after weeks of silence, it was also learned the ECB contacted him on Tuesday to open negotiations about a new 12-month central contract. The ECB declined to comment on the matter.

England Cricket News: Kevin Pietersen signs England contract | ESPN Cricinfo

Kevin Pietersen has signed a four-month central contract with the ECB and will be "reintegrated" into the England team after a process of reconciliation has been completed. The announcement could pave the way for Pietersen to be included in England's touring squad to India, although that has not yet been decided on.

Andy Flower, the England coach, will determine when Pietersen will return fully to the fold, once the 32-year-old becomes available for selection. Pietersen said that he hopes to play for England again "as soon as possible".

"It's been a horrible situation for all involved but it's time to move forward," Pietersen said. "All being well I'll be back in an England shirt as soon as possible.

Good News/Bad News depending upon one's viewpoint...

England board would have felt its unbearable to hear him in the commentary/Tv shows - so this is the only way to get him out of there...

Only 4 months?! Maybe they're testing how the things will be in the dressing room for the short period before giving him the long run contract. Seeing the physique he has,am sure he'll play till 40 ..atleast in the IPL