Kevin Pietersen forced to retire

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
England news: Kevin Pietersen retires from one-day cricket | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

This was totally unexpected, but I guess its partially because of domestic T20 leagues? But I would have expected, Test retirement, but he has gone the other way round :D

Also, he could have played World Cup T20 & then retired :confused:

Reactions: 1 person

ashish

Addicts
Regulars
Jul 21, 2011
Mumbai
That's Sad. he was the best ODI batsmen for England

- - - Updated - - -

Also, he could have played World Cup T20 & then retired :confused:

"For the record, were the selection criteria not in place, I would have readily played for England in the upcoming World Twenty20."

The terms of ECB central contracts state that any player who makes themselves unavailable for either format of one-day cricket is automatically ruled out of selection for both ODIs and T20s.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
But..its a dangerous precedent, players retiring at 29,30, 32...

However, we have others balancing it at 38,39,40 :D

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, thats why I said he could have retired from ODIs after World Cup T20, its not that far away, and he would have had to play the ODI series against the Windies & SAfrica , thats it

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Yeah.... He could have spoken to the board about resting for a couple of series as well among Aus/SA/WI.

ashish

Addicts
Regulars
Jul 21, 2011
Mumbai
Some contract issue must be there with ECB.otherwise last year when he was dropped for odi series against india, he was very disappointed and eager for a comeback.Graeme Swann who every now and then lambasts ODI and says it should be Scrapped continues to play in it

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Yeah, I expect a lot of things to change over the next few years in the decade in cricket, lets see, how things go.