Kerala Vision Broadband FTTH - User Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 344
  • Views Views 92,097
Now that I am evaluating Kerala Vision broadband, thought I would create a thread to share my experience. My LCO provides broadband services from BSNL and Kerala Vision, so thought would be good to evaluate Kerala Vision as well.

Getting the account setup was pretty easy, cause there was no need for additional cabling or ONT etc. I shared a photo and ID/address proof doc to the LCO, and the same day evening he setup my account and shared the credentials. The LCO shares the same OLT for all services, so on my end, I just needed to configure my OpenWRT device appropriately.

Initially I didn't get the Kerala Vision VLAN, so I had to reach out to the LCO's tech guy who shared the id. I added the VLAN to the switch (my ONT is a transparent bridge, so I needed no change on the ONT) which created an interface and all I needed to do was add the necessary interface configuration with the PPPoE credentials.

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.47.29 PM.webp

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.48.05 PM.webp

As you can see, they use CG-NAT which is disappointing but other than BSNL and few others nobody else gives public IP addresses. Also I liked the fact that things just worked on first try 😆 (the above screenshot is from my first try to connect)

Will add more details as I explore more.

In kerala vision customer dashboard there is an option to change modem password. Which password does it change ? pppoe or ont login password?

Attachments

• 2020-07-29 103618.webp
    2020-07-29 103618.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 622
@mr_robot PPPOE

That will change PPPoE password I believe. To change login password, there is an option when we click the profile icon at top right corner.

I tried to change my modem password once and lost PPPoE connectivity. LCO had to reset my device mac address at their end for services to resume.

Hi All..I am new to this forum..

I have 2 issues related to my KV FTTH connection which got activated recently.

1.My broadband plan is FUP100M800G ,but i dont see the speed goes beyond 10mbps.is everyone facing this speed restriction ? or its only for new customers?

2. It looks like i need to key-in the username and password every time i connect to internet.I am using Huwei EG8141A5 modem,can i enable autologin via PPPoE ? could someone help me with me the steps.I do see the PPPoE option in the router page.But its greyed out.

@shan apparently kerala vision has some choked bandwidth issues maybe that's why u are getting low speeds

@philip ..thanks for the reply.

for a 100 mbps plan,10 mbps is not an acceptable speed at all. 😢

Could someone help me the concern 2 please.

2. It looks like i need to key-in the username and password every time i connect to internet.I am using Huwei EG8141A5 modem,can i enable autologin via PPPoE ? could someone help me with me the steps.I do see the PPPoE option in the router page.But its greyed out.

If your router log-in is greyed out, it's possible the ONT is doing the PPoE. In that case, you have two options.
1) If you have access to the ONT, try to enable bridge mode. As far as I know, it boils down to your LCO allowing bridge mode and giving you access to the ONT. If he's cooperative like that, you can enable bridge mode and set up auto PPoE on your primary router itself.

2) If that's not possible, then again you need to call your LCO and make him save the PPoE credentials to your ONT. Then simply plug in a LAN cable from your ONT to your router. Mind you, DHCP can be set either in the ONT or the router, but not ideally in both. If the ONT is in bridge mode, disable DHCP in the ONT. If not in bridge mode, enable DHCP on ONT and disable it in router.

Hope it helps.

1.My broadband plan is FUP100M800G ,but i dont see the speed goes beyond 10mbps.is everyone facing this speed restriction ? or its only for new customers?

If your aim is to have high speed internet and good routing to international servers, you shouldn't be using Kerala Vision. It's a network good only for Netflix and Youtube, and nothing beyond basic usage like sharing/forwarding stuff on whatsapp. I myself regret taking 30Mbps when most of the time I don't get above 15Mbps. It's honestly money down the drain and I have certainly decided not to renew my services with them when it expires.

@JitzyJT ,no..it was 10 mbps upload and download.

My speed issue has been fixed and i am getting 95-100 mbps speed now if i am on awired connection.Problem was the with the session (thats what the support guy said) and it was kind of freezed.So the same session was continued on the next day as well.After he killed the session,i had to reconnect back and everything was back to normal...

@Gokul Kannan and @varkey
that is some really fast response,my apologies for asking something when a whole thread was started about it,from reading that thread,i agree its not worth the money nor time to use the ZyXEL router sfp port as an ont

Can you recommend a good ont, i don't want any bells and whistles, i have a uap ac pro 3x3 mimo with 5ghz and 2.4hz for wifi and the above mentioned zyxel will be used for pppoe and routing

from reading the forums i saw mentions of the Netlink unit
they seem to have raised prices and its about 1600 with shipping

found it cheaper on indiamart without shipping for 893 Rs , the seller is in trivandrum so shipping within Kerala wouldn't be an issue

i want to know if there will be any issues using this ont from user experience before i buy it , the lco wants to sell an ont for 2750 Rs,didn't ask the manufacturer or make,but i don't want to overpay or get something with features i will never use,

also @varkey which device is the screenshot you posted in opening post of the thread running openwrt with the mt750 switch