• Thread starter Thread starter boygr8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 6,219

boygr8

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Broadband
Having stayed with Sify for more than 3-4 years.....I have finally decided to move for MTNL tribandI have applied for 590NU plan with modem. or should i buy my own modem.....how much does an ADSL modem cost.Is it worth giving a Rs 500 non refundable security and Rs 50 pm or should I buy my own CPE.Also How long does it take for them to install the connection. I wanted to get it installed in JAN as I am pretty busy these days but applied today as they have waived off installation , testing and 1st month rental till 22nd dec.Is there anything like a specific model or brand of modem that i should ask them

my power button on the modem UT 300R2U has gone bad due to switching on/off procedure for night unlimited, but i am not worried 😛 since the modem is on rent. so please consider it if ur on night unlimited.

I think some one here bought Netgear router similar to what mtnl provide for about 1600Rs with 2yr warranty. Thats a good deal becoz for 2 yrs your modem won't require any additional maintanence.Whereas for mtnl it is 500 + 50*24= Rs1700.So a nice deal if with 2 yr warranty.

i have bought Netgear router for something around 1600 with a 2 year warranty.the model number is DG632.i dont know whether mtnl provides this modem or not but the triband head for my area suggested me this one.working fine and until now, i did not have any issues.even the support is good and they have a toll free number with knowledgeable staff.not like the ones with sify.even i had shifted from there. i suggest u buy ur on CPE especially when u are getting a 2 yr warrenty.@GSV13i think the 10% tax is levied on the rental charges but im not sure.if it is levied, then the cost will come to 500+55*24=1820.so even after paying a high amount to MTNL, u dont own the CPE.which city are u in.if in mumbai, i can give u the contact details where u can buy it.dont know about delhi.u can contact netgear directly on tollfree numberthis is the toll free number 1800-425-4327.hope this helps u.please reply.

thanks.actually i have not received a bill yet.so i dont actually know the tax rate.but is it levied on the CPE too.

But i want to test MTNL 1st. Thats why I am keeping Sify for a month . so i have decided to go for rental scheme.Also how long does to get the internet working from the time they land up at ur home.They have not called me or contacted me yet.....it has been 3 days.also do they prvide a new modem or used modem. Is there something to be kept in mind while taking a modem ( like USB or LAN).

do one thing, call up ur exchange and ask for the triband office .call them up and speak to the head.tell him it is very urgent.i got the connection in a day after i bought my router.

QUOTE(arnav @ Dec 21 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]71391[/snapback]

but is it levied on the CPE too.
[/b]

Yes! 😉

QUOTE(boygr8 @ Dec 23 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]71490[/snapback]
But i want to test MTNL 1st. Thats why I am keeping Sify for a month . so i have decided to go for rental scheme.

Also how long does to get the internet working from the time they land up at ur home.

They have not called me or contacted me yet.....it has been 3 days.

also do they prvide a new modem or used modem. Is there something to be kept in mind while taking a modem ( like USB or LAN).
[/b]

Simple you are in Q, they have a 10,00o waiting list, read this

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/808801.cms

that was last week but I dont think things have changed a lot, you can keep in touch with local exchange.

Good for me...............I am in no hurry......my Sify BB is valid till Jan 10th......hope MTNL will provide by then...btw waitlist in Delhi is 2000 only and they say they can install about 400 connections a day.....that means about 5 days of wait.....that's not bad.What brand of modem do they usaully provide? Do they provide us with a router or just plain ADSL Modem?

Finally the guy came at 7 PM today with UT-304R2 Router and installed it. However my connection has not yet been activated from th exchange.how is this router?

Ut-304R2 i think has 4 ethernet port. Pure router + adsl combo!I am thinking how to make my ut300r2u kaput so that i cud get this one! 😛

yep it has 4 ether net ports.Guys can u guide me .......when i switch on router .....the xDSL light is not coming on......does that mean that my exchange has still NOT activated my account? Or do i need to do something at my end????