• Thread starter Thread starter The-Lord
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 1,630

The-Lord

Regular
ISP
TATA indicom
Okay, so im buying an iPhone 4 16gb(AT&T) from the USA for 149$. My question is, do i have to buy the contract along with the phone? I mean like fill in a form and pay the initial charges and all that before i can take it home? Because im gonna buy Gevey Ultra/Ultrasn0w depending on the baseband and ship it to India. Some one who has bought a phone there please reply.Thanks.

for $ 149 its sure locked phone , UNUSABLE IN INDIA< its not just form filling , its contract between you and ATT, for taking a connection along with phone, Unless you have a SSN you cant buy it, Just dont Dream that. the unlocked version is like around $ 450 or more ( I am not sure) Research first dont just buy cause you have money.... YOU CANT BUY for $149 a iPhone bottom line ...

for $ 149 its sure locked phone , UNUSABLE IN INDIA< its not just form filling , its contract between you and ATT, for taking a connection along with phone, Unless you have a SSN you cant buy it, Just dont Dream that.
the unlocked version is like around $ 450 or more ( I am not sure)
Research first dont just buy cause you have money....
YOU CANT BUY for $149 a iPhone bottom line ...
Well..what if i have a relative in USA who uses his Socialsecurity number and buys it for 149$$ and then i get it shipped here and then unlock it? 😱

they have to pay the monthly bill for it, for 2 years, In USA and I am sure shipping it out of country will be illegal for them...this just dosent work like the way it works in India...

if you get a phone on contract to india, your relatives would have to pay an early termination fee. which i think is around 300-450 dollars.

If you buy a locked iPhone and you unlock it using Gevey, you will not be able to upgrade to iOS 5 as the baseband gets upgraded and Gevey does not work with the new baseband. Also, no other unlock tricks work for iOS 5 ATM (neither are any expected anytime soon). Some websites like cutyoursim.com can factory unlock an iPhone for you. But they have varying rates depending on the carrier and do not unlock ATnT as of now. So if you are planning to buy a Gevey unlocked phone, and thinking for migrating to iOS 5 in the future, I would advise you to check the rates on this website and chose a phone that was originally locked to a network that is cheap to factory unlock. My advice will be to avoid phones that were originally locked to a US carrier.

If you buy a locked iPhone and you unlock it using Gevey, you will not be able to upgrade to iOS 5 as the baseband gets upgraded and Gevey does not work with the new baseband. Also, no other unlock tricks work for iOS 5 ATM (neither are any expected anytime soon).

Some websites like cutyoursim.com can factory unlock an iPhone for you. But they have varying rates depending on the carrier and do not unlock ATnT as of now. So if you are planning to buy a Gevey unlocked phone, and thinking for migrating to iOS 5 in the future, I would advise you to check the rates on this website and chose a phone that was originally locked to a network that is cheap to factory unlock.

My advice will be to avoid phones that were originally locked to a US carrier.

Oh well, i think you can preserve your baseband while updating and ultrasn0w and gevey should still work. Also, Ultrasn0w 1.2.4 is compatible with ios5 ( all this research for nothing *sigh*) And yes, I am looking for a factory unlocked iphone4 only. However, i cant stretch my budget beyond 400$. 🙁
Thanks for the link, appreciate it 🙂