JioFiber router doesn't allow joining new devices in the 2.4 GHz network while a torrent is being downloaded from a device connected to 2.4 GHz NW

ISP
JioFiber
I have the JioFiber router model JCOW414 (Manufactured in August 2021).

Whenever I'm downloading a torrent on a device that is connected to the router's 2.4 GHz network, no other devices connected to the 2.4 GHz network can use the Internet at that time—not even for browsing. Also, no devices can connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi network while the torrent is being downloaded.

However, users connected to the 5GHz network during that time can use the Internet without issues.

But, when I'm downloading torrents on the 5 GHz network, every 2.4 GHz and 5GHz user can use the Internet without issues.

The firmware is up-to-date.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Last edited:
This is expected. I think there are too many bottlenecks here.

Expected as torrents utilize 100% of the bandwidth and 2.4 Ghz has very low bandwidth, this happens with any ISP/router not Jio in particular.

Expected as torrents utilize 100% of the bandwidth and 2.4 Ghz has very low bandwidth, this happens with any ISP/router not Jio in particular.
@ackr8 I think, it is strange because it happens on the 2.4 GHz network even when I'm using it far from the router and the torrent is downloading at 20 Mbps (Max. speed at that spot) out of the 150 Mbps bandwidth.

It's limited by number of active connections, nothing to do with how far you're are or speed.
This should be handled by the router and let everyone have fair access but that's too much to expect from random manufacturers. I'd suggest using a wired connection if you're going make hundreds of simultaneous connections.

"Powerful" consumers routers in the Indian market are very expensive and they aren't powerful at all. For now I'd say just use wired connection for heavy usage and figure out your setup on your own after a while.

TP-Link Archer C6 v2 is good & powerful enough...Its also supported by OpenWRT custom firmware...I have this, its decent...Try getting a deal from olx or second hand as new hw revision selling on amzn (not supported by OpenWRT) uses Mediatek.... V2 uses Qualcomm.

Also I would like to highlight that all of its 5 Ethernet ports are Gigabit (1 WAN, 4 LAN).

I am surprised to see routers from brands like Netgear (model R6120) - which advertise AC1200 wifi speeds (2.4ghz -300 mbps, 5ghz - 867 mbps)- but actually has a mediocre WAN port with fast ethernet, meaning it will bottleneck if your ISP plan is >100 mbps (or maybe it will bottleneck even from a lower speed). So that AC1200 speed is a marketing gimmick. You may get that speed over wireless intranet local to local, but from WAN to wifi? Never.

Last edited:
@naxx I already own Archer C6 v2 since March 2019, which I used until last month with my previous ISP (A local one).

But, it's even worse for downloading torrents. It often kicks the device out from the network while I'm downloading a torrent. Disconnecting and reconnecting solves the issue.

However, that said, I purchased Archer C6 v3 a few months ago for my relative and tested it at my home before handing it over to them. Its performance in downloading torrents and otherwise is amazing. Never had the disconnection issue as I had in the v2.

@NoviceUser404 Archer C6 v2 blocks torrenting device on your LAN due to its firewall settings.

Advanced tab>Security>Settings: UDP-Flood Attack Filtering -> set to OFF , also set ICMP & TCP flood to LOW (less sensitive firewall, won't block till some packet limits are met. Earlier if a laptop sends out 500 packets/sec it was blocking, now it won't block till it sends 2600 packets/second as example).
Remember UDP is used for torrents & you need to turn the filtering off. This does not necessarily decrease your security as android, windows will have their own antivirus/firewall. I tried setting UDP filtering to low, but still it was getting blocked, so it had to turn it OFF

It doesn't "kick-off", but makes the torrent device local-only, unable to access the internet...

**Also note these settings are only for flood attacks means Denial Of Service(DoS) attacks, where attacker(s) send unnecessary traffic to your data to make the device succumb under load & not enough capacity will remain to serve the legitimate user (you).

Duh, so you will simply notice nothing is working, you'll restart the router, maybe check logs & manually blacklist the IP. But you are protected by your ISP etc, there's a one in a million chance it will happen.
Router's are hard to hack as their OS is on a read only memory, even if your router gets hacked (botnet etc), a simple reboot will clear it.
You can also reinstall the firmware or send to svc center telling it might have been hacked & ask to send another one.

** Since you used the words "kicks the device out", restarting helps it & also you're from Kolkata, it might be due to interference from neighbour's 2.4 GHz wifi. Check if the same happens on Ethernet & 5 GHz. If there it doesn't get kicked out, it might be 2.4ghz channel congestion.

--Advanced>wireless>wl. settings>2.4ghz> Channel width - 40 MHz (instead of Auto. If old devices have problems connecting to it then, update device drivers or again set back to Auto)... This will make your router operate in larger portion of the bands & this might prevent neighboring router to use the same/close-by channel.

If that doesn't work, try setting 2.4 GHz band to Channel 13.

Otherwise Sys Parameters>2.4ghz> Beacon - 80/90 ms (lower beacon interval= more battery used by phones/laptops to stay connected) , & DTIM interval to 1

Last edited:
I am also taking a jio conn...
How does the JCOW414 look like? Does it stands up & has a big indicator just below jio logo ( like in JCOW407 )?

If you take front side & back side port sides pics & upload on file sharing site, it would be very nice... Please feel free to hide/blur any QR code or sl no. [you may use Anonymous File Upload - AnonFiles ]

How does the JCOW414 look like? Does it stands up & has a big indicator just below jio logo ( like in JCOW407 )?
@naxx It looks exactly like the JCOW407, but is manufactured/assembled by Sercomm in India, while JCOW407 used to be manufactured by Skyworth Digital Ltd. in China.