JioFiber Review

• Thread starter Thread starter WandereR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 15,878
I got my JioFiber connection installed on Saturday and am sharing whatever I have noted till now.

Plan: 150Mbps 3.3TB at 999+GST
Installation cost: 2500(Router + STB)
Time taken for installation: They visited the third day after online payment and completed installation in less than 2 hours as they just had to drop the fiber cable from my home to the ground floor, where their distribution box is installed.
The optical power they noted here was below -21.

My Existing connection: Railwire - 100Mbps unlimited at 999+GST

My observations:
  • AWS Ping test(Ignore few irregularities)
Jio-Cloud-Ping.jpg

• DNS servers pings: (Fairly stable)
Jio-Ping-DNS.jpg

Surprisingly, while writing this post, Cloudflare's DNS is pinging at 110ms
  • Valorant Ping:
image.png

• Few Speedtest results:
Jio-Speedtest.jpg

• NAT Type: Strict(No change with UPnP)
image.png

Pros:
  1. 150Mbps plan at the same price I paid for 100Mbps
  2. STB with few OTTs subscriptions
  3. Fairly constant ping throughout the day
  4. The router has good range
Cons:
  1. Very High ping even on local servers. Same with those in SEA and EU.
  2. The installed JioTV app on the STB doesn't work which means very limited live TV channels
  3. Traceroute displays almost no information
  4. Strict NAT
  • Sample traceroute results
Jio-traceroute-DNS.jpg

Comparison with my primary connection(might discontinue):
  1. Ping: The main disadvantage I see on JioFiber is that my ping is nowhere close to what Railwire offers. I could get 35ms on servers in Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi etc and 70ms for Singapore ones, 160-170ms for Europe. But on JF, Mumbai has 80ms ping when it's best, 65ms for Chennai and 120ms for SGP. I could easily get 35-40ms for CF DNS, 40-50ms for Google DNS on Railwire.
  2. Speed: JF-Speed is good on Indian servers but not that great on International ones. Railwire-Good speeds locally and better than JF on international ones(considering the percentage of the plan:100,150).
  3. FUP- Railwire has no FUP but since I don't hit 3TB monthly, JF's 3.3TB cap should be enough.
  4. NAT type: Strict on JF and Moderate on RW.
  5. Hard bandwidth cap: Jio limits the total speed around the plan speed specified(150Mbps here). Railwire does have the cap for most servers but I have crossed 200Mbps speeds on Netflix(Fast) and some other peered servers which is twice my plan speed.
After the above comparison, many of you might have the opinion that Railwire is better in most of the aspects, so now the reasons I was looking for alternatives :
  1. Poor uptime: There can be a fiber cut any time. Even if there isn't, the connection can disconnect while you're playing a game, attending online classes or while on a call. This is the very reason why I even considered JioFiber as my friends never complain about downtime.
  2. Upload speed: Due to some strange reason not yet known, the upload speeds are limited to 10-15Mbps on windows machines while it's perfect on other OSs. This is not very significant to me as I can use my Pi3 to host a proxy server for my windows device and I mostly don't upload much.(Edit1: This issue is only for states which have their routing through Railtel's Kolkata NOC)

Last edited:
The traceroutes are attached as images. I'm not sure why the traceroutes do not show each hop and instead show request timed out, this doesn't happen on any other ISPs I have used. Other than that, these are just few servers which I've mentioned, every single server has high ping, be it Mumbai/Chennai/Singapore. On speedtest, Jio Mumbai server shows 75-70ms but still pings on other servers in Mumbai are 90+. Even the closest Jio server(Asansol) has 25-30ms ping which should be nothing more than 3-4ms as my main internet connection has 6ms till Kolkata and 35ms till Mumbai.
My experience says that the issue is with the routing and my traffic is not going through the right path(Maybe <MY-CITY> ->Kolkata->Mumbai or <MY-CITY> ->Mumbai)

Please look into this at the earliest and let me know what(if) can be done.
This was the mail. @Yatch

@WandereR I am amazed they resolved your problem just in one mail. I've been breaking my head for more than 2 months now.

Same issue with me on BSNL FTTH, i have been explaining frequent RTOs on my line, raised many selfcare and PGPortal complaints, and what they just told me today is " Sir, aap kisi aur company ka lagwa lo" 😛😛

@WandereR I just submitted a second complaint to PG portal. As always jio care allotted a Service request, an incompetent engineer visits my home, they don't understand a thing, and PG closes the case as resolved. Could you guide me how get out of this situation?

i mean based on how locked their routers are, i would have imagined that their media box was also locked enough and was using its own dns so this seems very weird to me.

Could you guide me how get out of this situation?
I have already shared what I did except the fact that I had complained during the first trial month. I had specifically mentioned that if they don't fix it, I'm going to surrender it and prevent my friends from getting it(They were new in my area that time). Maybe that did it.

Few others have tried to get this fixed here in Jharkhand, after my suggestion but failed, so I'm not sure what they think about it. The technician who came to my place to check the speed and ping after my complaint admitted that they have high ping than my (then) existing Railwire or any other connection.

@WandereR Thanks for the info. Even I had complained the first day of the trial period. The service engineer allotted to me put me in a conferencing call with the backend team. The backend guy said he does not have any control the route DHCP selects. It chooses a route based on traffic on a particular route and I might experience fluctuations in pings throughout the day. He suggested a leased line which has a L2 switch, and that they have better control on routeing through that. I forgot to ask if they would have a server in Pune in the future.

Saw just now advertisement for jio fiber on times now news channel with ranveer singh singing and dancing.