JioFiber Review

• Thread starter Thread starter WandereR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 15,855
I got my JioFiber connection installed on Saturday and am sharing whatever I have noted till now.

Plan: 150Mbps 3.3TB at 999+GST
Installation cost: 2500(Router + STB)
Time taken for installation: They visited the third day after online payment and completed installation in less than 2 hours as they just had to drop the fiber cable from my home to the ground floor, where their distribution box is installed.
The optical power they noted here was below -21.

My Existing connection: Railwire - 100Mbps unlimited at 999+GST

My observations:
  • AWS Ping test(Ignore few irregularities)
Jio-Cloud-Ping.jpg

• DNS servers pings: (Fairly stable)
Jio-Ping-DNS.jpg

Surprisingly, while writing this post, Cloudflare's DNS is pinging at 110ms
  • Valorant Ping:
image.png

• Few Speedtest results:
Jio-Speedtest.jpg

• NAT Type: Strict(No change with UPnP)
image.png

Pros:
  1. 150Mbps plan at the same price I paid for 100Mbps
  2. STB with few OTTs subscriptions
  3. Fairly constant ping throughout the day
  4. The router has good range
Cons:
  1. Very High ping even on local servers. Same with those in SEA and EU.
  2. The installed JioTV app on the STB doesn't work which means very limited live TV channels
  3. Traceroute displays almost no information
  4. Strict NAT
  • Sample traceroute results
Jio-traceroute-DNS.jpg

Comparison with my primary connection(might discontinue):
  1. Ping: The main disadvantage I see on JioFiber is that my ping is nowhere close to what Railwire offers. I could get 35ms on servers in Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi etc and 70ms for Singapore ones, 160-170ms for Europe. But on JF, Mumbai has 80ms ping when it's best, 65ms for Chennai and 120ms for SGP. I could easily get 35-40ms for CF DNS, 40-50ms for Google DNS on Railwire.
  2. Speed: JF-Speed is good on Indian servers but not that great on International ones. Railwire-Good speeds locally and better than JF on international ones(considering the percentage of the plan:100,150).
  3. FUP- Railwire has no FUP but since I don't hit 3TB monthly, JF's 3.3TB cap should be enough.
  4. NAT type: Strict on JF and Moderate on RW.
  5. Hard bandwidth cap: Jio limits the total speed around the plan speed specified(150Mbps here). Railwire does have the cap for most servers but I have crossed 200Mbps speeds on Netflix(Fast) and some other peered servers which is twice my plan speed.
After the above comparison, many of you might have the opinion that Railwire is better in most of the aspects, so now the reasons I was looking for alternatives :
  1. Poor uptime: There can be a fiber cut any time. Even if there isn't, the connection can disconnect while you're playing a game, attending online classes or while on a call. This is the very reason why I even considered JioFiber as my friends never complain about downtime.
  2. Upload speed: Due to some strange reason not yet known, the upload speeds are limited to 10-15Mbps on windows machines while it's perfect on other OSs. This is not very significant to me as I can use my Pi3 to host a proxy server for my windows device and I mostly don't upload much.(Edit1: This issue is only for states which have their routing through Railtel's Kolkata NOC)

Last edited:
  1. Upload speed: Due to some strange reason not yet known, the upload speeds are limited to 10-15Mbps on windows machines while it's perfect on other OSs. This is not very significant to me as I can use my Pi3 to host a proxy server for my windows device and I mostly don't upload much.(Edit1: This issue is only for states which have their routing through Railtel's Kolkata NOC)
As for this, I have been reading about this issue for quite some time since 2+ months, but here for me (In Bhubaneswar), when we were routed through Kolkata NOC, me and my friends used to get above 100mbps UP and Down, consistent throughout the day, even if the ping times are high to servers, Speeds were fairly consistent and high, and on Windows machine I might add. (sorry for going offtopic here)

Now as for Jio Fiber, in here it just seems like a better BSNL (In terms of uptime atleast) but worse RailWire (But even BSNL have better pings than Jio here), so Jio is basically for streaming as you mentioned, it is a pretty big red flag for gamers with it's issues.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether the upload problem on Railwire is solved yet, please share few speedtest results(International servers).

The ping/routing issues are mainly in T3 cities for JF as my friends around 250KM in Ranchi have better ping, though still not comparable to RW.

Source

Source

Source

Not gonna lie, speeds have been a bit less than before, I think this is because we are routed through Hyderabad now instead of Kolkata but before the speeds were a bit more.

If you want, I can do more tests, just tell me what to do.

Looks like JIO Fiber is better in West India, I get much better pings than above better than BSNL FTTH little bad than Airtel Xstream.

FHZyA7Z.png

NAT is also moderate for me.

gQQJOrD.png

Last edited:
My friend with BSNL FTTH gets those pings (except Mumbai).

Update:

Valorant ping is now 50ms in menu and 60-65ms ingame.
image.png

Google and CF DNS are still poor on IPv4
image.png

AWS servers have better ping now(US pings much better than Railwire which uses airtel transit):
image.png

Valorant

Source

Cloudping

Source

ya sorry about not being able to post images correctly (still a noob in that regard)

but idk how Jio pings are much better, and this is while RailWire has increased pings to their servers (11ms to Kolkata ATM of taking screens), being inconsistent as always. Valorant pings are usually around 32 - 34 in menu and under 40 in game. Singapore servers are always under 70. Hong Kong servers are kinda inconsistent hopping from 80 - 100 (both 1& 2).

Ping to both Google and CloudFare DNS are 44 rn, they are usually around 35 - 40.

But it seems they are improving, Jio as a Tier 1 ISP should have better pings, I'm excited to see what kind of improvements they will have for the future.

Last edited:
Since bbsr is closer to Chennai, you'll definitely have better pings for Singapore, HK, Australia etc regardless of the ISP.
The pings on JF are not the best it can be and that's due to the local connectivity. If they can bring down ping for Kolkata(my gateway on JF) which is usually 26-30ms, to <10ms(I have got even 5ms on Railwire so it's definitely possible) then I'm sure there wouldn't be any ping difference between RW and JF on majority of the servers.
Although I don't expect anything to change in the near future as I'm in a T3 city and I doubt it will be successful enough for them to consider investing more.

If they can bring down ping for Kolkata(my gateway on JF) which is usually 26-30ms, to <10ms(I have got even 5ms on Railwire so it's definitely possible) then I'm sure there wouldn't be any ping difference between RW and JF on majority of the servers.
Jio won't bother to do that cause majority of the users don't care about ping and NAT issues. As long as they are able to watch videos on YT or scroll down through Insta feeds it makes them content with their internet connection, which eventually makes Jio save on money & resources and someone gets listed as the richest man in Asia.

I partially agree to that. But something to note is that speed on most servers abroad is good. Ping is okayish and can be improved further but I don't think they would invest in it as the percentage of users benefitting is less.

Since bbsr is closer to Chennai, you'll definitely have better pings for Singapore, HK, Australia etc regardless of the ISP.
The pings on JF are not the best it can be and that's due to the local connectivity. If they can bring down ping for Kolkata(my gateway on JF) which is usually 26-30ms, to <10ms(I have got even 5ms on Railwire so it's definitely possible) then I'm sure there wouldn't be any ping difference between RW and JF on majority of the servers.
Although I don't expect anything to change in the near future as I'm in a T3 city and I doubt it will be successful enough for them to consider investing more.
oh i didn't take that into account, my bad.
I do actually expect difference between Jio and RW (maybe not much, but i expect Jio to be better) because Jio has their own undersea cables right? and a hella lot of peering (according to PeeringDB, i might be wrong). And as you said your gateaway ping, I hope it is fixed soon and you can enjoy your fiber experience.

Last edited:
No better way to put it than to say that you've been served with a lemon. Here's my speeds and latencies on jiofiber (damaged ethernet cable limiting to 100mbps). International upload seems to be suffering at the moment but doesn't really affect my needs.

NScuaom.png

P4iemYS.png
10915519815.png

10915538929.png
10915525163.png

10915556917.png
10915551634.png

@WandereR Just continuing from the Airtel thread, could you please post the email text you sent to the customer care? I tried explaining them several times in many languages the cause of my high latency, but they prove themselves to be living Dodo's. Do they entertain changing routeing to a preferred server just for one customer? And how much time did they take?