Jio ftth operational power required to work efficiently

• Thread starter Thread starter naman1208
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 9,275
ISP
BSNL
So I recently got jio fibre and previously I was using BSNL ftth and its input power is -13.0 and BSNL ftth works greatly up to -22 so its great, but the lineman who installed jio cable said that the input power for my jio ftth is -22 and jio ftth operates up to -23 so will it be a problem ?
Or it is completely OK.
BTW the lineman told me that there will be no problem

my bsnl ftth was initially -15 after some maintenance/extension work it became -26 and is still working fine for the most part.

Most ONTs have optical power sensitivity till around around -28 dBm, so you should be good. This is basically the lowest power level at which the ONT can reliably function.

My BSNL FTTH power level is around -25 dBm and works just fine.

However a lower value would mean that as the provider adds more splitters this would further drop. Hopefully they keep track of the levels and make appropriate changes when required.

How do you check the operational power of your ONT ?

Normally power varies from ONT to ONT and the number of devices on the splitter. Tata Sky BB engineer told me for Nokia ONTs is should be better than -25 dBm. The ONT status page say min -25 and max is -11. My ONT locks on at between -20.5 to -19.8 dBm.

Most ONTs have optical power sensitivity till around around -28 dBm, so you should be good. This is basically the lowest power level at which the ONT can reliably function.

My BSNL FTTH power level is around -25 dBm and works just fine.

However a lower value would mean that as the provider adds more splitters this would further drop. Hopefully they keep track of the levels and make appropriate changes when required.

I don't think Jio users have to worry about adding more splitters. Because the fiber wire from the box to the home is of single core. Now if I am correct there is no reason why the power would reduce in the box itself even if devices are added.

Power reduces when the wire itself is split, which is what existing ISPs do. If there is a fiber wire to your home for example of 6 core they will split that wire to provide connection to your neighbor.

Jio has setup its infrastructure differently tho.

It has been pointed out to me, PON doesn't work like that. I was always under the assumption it worked like this.

Last edited:
@Shubham Unfortunately that's not how PON (passive optical network) works, its the same cable and they use a passive splitter. The box itself is a passive splitter, and there is loss introduced due to that. Also if they add a passive splitter upstream, you'd see a drop in power levels as well.

4VsoZcx.jpg
Fiber core of jio fiber. Only 0.1mm aprox. After sleeving the blue layer we can see the core.

So I recently got jio fibre and previously I was using BSNL ftth and its input power is -13.0 and BSNL ftth works greatly up to -22 so its great, but the lineman who installed jio cable said that the input power for my jio ftth is -22 and jio ftth operates up to -23 so will it be a problem ?
Or it is completely OK.
BTW the lineman told me that there will be no problem
I asked the technician , he said they have been told to keep power between -17 to -25.

My GPON ONU shows -30 and still works. I was worried that how come my internet is working flawlessly when my ONU has range from -15 to -26 ?