Jio 5G traffic through a 5G CPE

• Thread starter Thread starter Kauban
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 12,608
ISP
Jio Fiber
I have a strange problem, seek guidance from experts. I have a Jio 5G (enabled) SIM in a Huawei 5G CPE router and I can access 5G internet at full speeds (1.3 G) through my iPhone.

The only LAN port is connected to my Laptop through and a Gigabit connection is established immediately and now speeds are around 950 Mbps which is ok.

Now if the same LAN cable is connected to my Ubiquiti Unify router (no access point) the link is established but no internet, checked all configurations but I was not able to fix this. I pass another WAN (same port) and automatically connects to the internet.

Then I again use the same LAN out from the Huawei 5G router to another working Asus router and I am again able to get 5G internet through its Wifi and able to use its LAN port to connect to my laptop. However if I unplug the cable and connect this to Unify this would again not connect. Interestingly, if I switch the 5G > 4G in the Huawei router internet link is automatically established.

In summary in my case, 5G is only available if I connect directly through its own Wifi but not if I pass this through my Unify router (tried with 2 separate models). If I use a Router -Switch-AP (like Asus), link is established but the LAN out cannot be WAN in to another router. I am also tried enabling bridge mode, no go. There is no problem if I switch to 4G.

Is Jio somehow blocking 5G internet passthrough? AirTel 5G is not enabled in Kolkata so cant comment

Friends, pls comment..

P.S. The same set up has being working with no issues if I switch to 4G and used as a Failover in my Unify router

May I ask where did you buy that router and for how much?

i got this from Router Switch last year. The cost has now significantly increased. I have 2 models - Huawei CPE Win & Huawei CPE Pro2, bands are mentioned in the website

@dexter22 - They will usually invoice this to a lower value and preferred (and cheaper) delivery option is Fedex who would handle customs + doorstep delivery. Typically this will be ~38% (Invoice + Delivery value) and should get delivered to you in 3-4 days max.

Now if you are buying this to use for AirTel 5G, pls go ahead but don’t buy if your plan is to use this with Jio 5G (refer my post above).
Also make sure you check all 5G bands are covered with option to choose SA, SA + NSA. TCL in your link does not have Band 40 LTE, check your bands in your circle

Thanks, I am planning to buy for Jio 5G. In my area we have following bands (Tested on my Oppo Reno7 Pro 5G).

n28 FDD 700 (NR_SA)
n78 TDD 3500 (NR_SA)

They will usually invoice this to a lower value
Does this invoice includes shipping fee + custom duty? All I have to do is just receive package at doorstep right?

Again thanks!

@dexter22 - If you are planning to use this as an Access point with Jio 5G, no problem. However if would like to use this as a auto failover by connecting its LAN to your Router it may not work as Jio is a IP6 only network (using 464XLAT) and most routers / CPE cannot handle that.
If you can wait, would propose to hold until
AirFiber is launched commercially by end of the year / earlier. It should also be cheaper.

Reg. the customs topic, RouterSwitch will invoice for Device + Shipping (FEDEX) and FEDEX will call you when this on the plane to India to complete the electronic paper work and share the online payment link. They will handle customs (usually 1 day) and get this delivered next business day to your doorstep.

according to their commercial, it seems jio air fiber gonna use this CPE

so you can get a rough idea about the specifications and all

Too many things I don't like here.
  • Restricted to Jio Only
  • Might have to recharge with specific plans that are made for AirFibers
  • Dealing with unprofessional Jio guys for installation and support
  • HW, Software and Firmware limitations
  • Price - I see MRP of Extender alone is 26K (Might be less when hits market)
Would rather buy a 5G router, Just saying