Java client cannot log you out?

• Thread starter Thread starter sidgupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,576
Hmm ... I like the command line client and am using that. Just a small tweak to be done on a linux system that doesn't use the rc.runlevelnumber directories. Instead of using install.sh, copy the sifyd and sifyconnect files to /usr/bin and add a line to your startup script (like rc.local) which brings up sifyd each time the system starts.It works perfectly on my slackware 10.0 🙂

I use Win ME and is very similar to 98.....so it doesnt run for me

lol..y does sify hasta welcome users!!and how cud i not have read tht🙁anyway now i keep both my clients loggged in 24x7...coz da java one should invalid session...this way the chances of being logged of are halved?

Instead of using install.sh, copy the sifyd and sifyconnect files to /usr/bin and add a line to your startup script (like rc.local) which brings up sifyd each time the system starts.[/b]
--ujjwal

That's a great idea 😉

Nopes ... a great idea would be to modify sifyconnect such that it brings sifyd up when you launch it, and kills it immediately after connecting 🙁Alternative clients, where art thou?

Yup ... but you can connect only as root (or is there a way around this?)

Actually the "sifyconnect" program that we use to connect is run as a non-root user only. It communicates with sifyd, which needs to be run as root. I think this is because it accesses system resources like the LAN card, opens ports etc. all of which need root privileges.However we can write a shell script to start sifyd, log us in and end sifyd so that sifyd need not always be running. We would need to be root to execute this script but that's about it. We won't have a root-privileged process like sifyd always remaining in the memory 🙂

I dont like sify bband client a bit . U see how much ur comp info it sends out . Also see my system in netwrk troubleshooter and f**k it shows every free byte on HD and maybe it send out info .ALso i bband.ini whats abt logging url Loggingurl=http://chn.sifybroadband.com/test/uploadlogfile.php3f**k THEY LOG UR LOGS . a$$hole$

But then to start up sifyd properly, you need to be root, so unless I su before attempting to connect, the client doesn't log me in. Even if I go super user, the client doesn't display any message, though I am connected :/It seems to be working weirdly, on a non redhat system.You run knoppix right? I dunno if knoppix uses rc.3,rc.4,rc.5 directories, but does the client work?

Yeah, Knoppix has the rc1.d, rc2.d etc. directories. Knoppix is based on Debian so things mostly work like on Debian. sifyd works fine here. Just that I can't log-out using sifyconnect which is a problem with sifyconnect and not sifyd as I have confirmed 😉 The install files include a script called sifybb.sh which is installed in the /etc/init.d directory on here. And the directory /etc/rc5.d has a symbolic link called SS20Sify...(something) to sifybb.sh. So when the system boots sifybb.sh is executed and sifyd started. So I don't have to log in as root ever because sifyconnect doesn't need root privilege.If you chuck sifybb.sh then just write a tiny shell script to execute sifyd, make it executable by root and add it to the appropriate directories on your Slackware 10 (don't know the exact place on it), take care of symbolic links if any and it ought to work fine 😉.The shell script will have just one line ---->sifyd (starts sifyd). And save it as something.sh 😉 .

Yep I don't use teh script at all ... I just go to the sify directory and ...$ ./sifyd$ ./sifyconnect -l$ killall sifyd😉

That looks smooth cept you've to su and become root to run sifyd which is an annoyance 😛

Hi Everybody

I am on Linux and wanna try out this MAc client. I downloaded it and have also installed jre1.5 something [latest one]

now how do I run it ? ?

Any ideas

[I tried to run like this but got an error

$ java Broadba*.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoCl@$$DefFoundError: BroadbandUI/jar
]

or get one of the developers of the sify alternative clients to release the code or make one for linux 😉