Issues with Twitch.tv streams

• Thread starter Thread starter jc36
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,725
ISP
Airtel
Hi, is anyone else having issues streaming content from twitch.tv? It used to work fine till Jan/Feb than suddenly something changed and now I cannot see streams at all, not even in the lowest quality. The video just won't load for me, or loads for 3-4 seconds and then freezes forever. Does anyone else use Twitch here? Currently on 8 Mbps Airtel fixed line broadband in Bangalore.

It's happened before for me, but now it's even more strange, I can stream twitch at source/high but VOD's do the every 3 second buffer.

LOL those Customer Care canned replies should be turned into memes, really.

I suggested a pretty obvious suggestion. Using Airtel's own DNS servers might change routing to Twitch servers offering much improved connectivity.

IIRC, changing DNS is not going to change the routing at all. DNS has nothing to do with the routing you get.

DNS affects local peering. Airtel DNS is more likely to connect you to direct peering in their data centers than third party DNS. But then what would I know.

I can stream twitch but I am on BSNL 512kbps. Streams with more that 100 or so users watching can be streamed on "Mobile" quality.
Man, that chat spam, Soo many of them, makes the tablet and stream lag :/
EDIT: just noticed, it was in airtel section.
EDIT2: Also, i had seen people with 50 mbit connection buffer every 5 sec. Its a twitch problem. We have to 'deal with it'

Good news! Google has heard about your problems and are in the process of solving it by acquiring Twitch!

Problem is with twitch and is servers. But now that Google is going to buy twitch, we can enjoy streams at source quality

Twitch is already pretty strict with unauthorized streams. It's not automated though, like Youtube. A big part of the Twitch experience is the Twitch chat. It would be sad if they pulled that Google+ integration bullshit for Twitch. On the topic itself, I was using Airtel DNS when I posted the thread. I have since switched to Open DNS. I couldn't see any immediate improvement, but since last week I am able to see streams on medium. Let's see how long it lasts.

Haha, cut out the condescension. Maybe you enjoy Google+, but many don't and it would totally kill Twitch chat. Not to mention their overzealous copyright takedowns which would be disastrous for a majority of streamers who play music in the background.

But how long can video delivery company survive on its own with the costs of storage, bandwidth, copyright violations and all that headache that comes with it... YouTube founders sold out at the apt time when they were on the verge of getting killed. DailyMotion sold out too. Vimeo is the only one surviving. I am not sure how Twitch generate revenues but it would need to get acquired eventually by one of the bigger players (Sony, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo or Google) to stay alive in the long run. Microsoft should have outbidded Google. Twitch is more relevant to them than it is to Google.