Issues with DI 624 Router connected to DSL 502T

• Thread starter Thread starter pinshah
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,444

pinshah

I have a small home network,

I have a DI - 624 router connected to a DSL 502T Modem (MTNL Triband), my PCs are connected to the router. The internet is working as expected but since last one week my internet goes down and up frequently (every 20 mins). The strange part I have to restart the DSL Modem every time this happens. This implies that the internet connection is there but the router loses the DSL Modem some how.

My Router is the DHCP server and its LAN Ip is http://192.168.0.1 [My PCs dynamically takes the ip from the Router. ]

My DSL Modem is also set as DHCP enabled and its Lan IP is http://192.168.1.1

The router is set to the get dynamic ip from the ISP.

After much trouble I was able to contact a chap from MTNL who seems to knew abt networking, he said that the Router and the DSL Modem should be in the same IP Family. ie. both should have 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxxx. Is that true?

I am not fully convinced about his view on IPs as the same setup was working fine and even today the internet works once the modem is restarted.

Please help me as i am totally confused. Am i doing something wrong? Any setting issues or its the MODEM or Line problem. Interestingly i also get a disconnection and reconnection (NO need to restart the modem this time) when i receive and do a phone call.

The MTNL Help is a disaster, i have called almost 20 numbers now but no assistance whatsoever.

Please Help!!!!
Pinakin Shah

looks like a line problem...... just check if the ADSL light is on when the internet stops working...... in whatever case the fault lies in modem/line....Your rest of the setup is just fine.You coud try connect the pc directly to dsl router to further shortlist the issue.If the ADSL light goes off evry time then, you better try explain them so, though it is a hard thing for them to understand 😉If the modem hangs.. again call mtnl ....

Thanks Buddy, There is absolutely no change in the ADSL lights, that is the ADSL light stays as it is. Now if its an MTNL issue, only GOD can help me 🙂Pinakin

Originally posted by pinshah@Feb 1 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Buddy,

There is absolutely no change in the ADSL lights, that is the ADSL light stays as it is.

Now if its an MTNL issue, only GOD can help me 🙂

Pinakin
[snapback]41029[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe there is too much noise in the telephone liine. What is noise / SNR margin on DSL Modem?

Originally posted by netfreak@Feb 1 2006, 04:49 PM
Maybe there is too much noise in the telephone liine. What is noise / SNR margin on DSL Modem?
[snapback]41036[/snapback]
[/quote]

ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 4.03.03.00 - 3.02.00.03 - 3.02.06.00 Annex A - 01.07.02 - 0.49
ADSL Software Version: V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530
Line State Connected
Modulation G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item - Downstream - Upstream - Unit
SNR Margin - 31 - 27 - dB
Line Attenuation - 25 - 15 - dB
Data Rate - 256 - 256 - kbps

Are u sure that u r are not using any parallel telephone on ur line before the splitter? in other words the line coming from exchange should go directly into splitter and then, the line out from splitter goes into the telephone.Everything else seems to be okay with ur setup.

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Feb 1 2006, 09:34 PM
Are u sure that u r are not using any parallel telephone on ur line before the splitter? in other words the line coming from exchange should go directly into splitter and then, the line out from splitter goes into the telephone.

Everything else seems to be okay with ur setup.
[snapback]41083[/snapback]
[/quote]

Apart from the one coming via the filter, I have unplugged all the phone boxes connected parallely

Can you post ADSL logs from your router? You can access logs from Router Status page, logs button is on left side. Post ALL pages of log.

Here is the log file from my router, i enabled logging of drop packets and can now see many drop packets messages in the log. Have a look and please help. Interestingly, my triband worked uninterrupted for last 2 days and today again modem needs a restart every 20 - 30 mins. View attachment 375

Originally posted by pinshah@Feb 3 2006, 04:28 PM
Again got disconnected so posting LOG NO 2
[snapback]41251[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think this log is from your WiFI router.

Can you post logs from D-Link router?

I am not sure this log will be helpful as the date and time are incorrect and i m not sure how to set those. If you see my WIFI Router log a particular machine is constantly asking Lease and also there are some drop packets due to FIREWall, any idea abt these?Couple of my machines are connected to other networks via VPN.Pinakin