Issues with BSNL FTTH voice service

• Thread starter Thread starter gautam2110
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,259
ISP
BSNL FTTH
I have recently got the BSNL FTTH installed ( Goa), and since the time of installation, there is a issue with the voice service. The IP allocation from DHCP server etc ,is all fine, but the default gw ( IP of BNG) is not reachable most of the time. The ping test shows a heavy drop of close to 80%. As a result voip gets deregistered, long call setup time and incoming calls are not getting connected.
Surprisingly, when i am able to make a call, the gw IP is pinging fine. The moment the call is disconnected, the situation is back to the case, where there is heavy packet loss.
I would like to ask the community members here, if anyone had similar issues. Would appreciate if there is anyone from Goa region , with whom i can discuss the issue in more detail. I dont think this is my issue alone, as BSNL wants me to believe.

are you talking about bsnl voip or other voip services such as whatsapp calling?

Am talking about BSNL VoIP service that is configured in VLAN 1849. Whatsapp calling is carried as regular internet traffic and not the subject of this discussion.

As you said the default gateway dropping the packet and not reachable, is it internet's default gateway or VoIP's default gateway?

I am also facing exact same issue @gautam2110 it gets deregistered automatically and while calling it take very long to get connected or the first ring and many times it get deregistered while calling, talked to Jto even nib they all said to update the router firmware. On emailing Syrotech they always reply that I have the latest firmware. My connection is also new just 1 month I am from West Bengal same vlan id as yours. I had copper landline there the internet was not reliable but the phone was very reliable but in this connection it is the opposite.

@supukabi , can you confirm if the internet service is working fine and issues only with voice vlan ?. Can you check with your service provider if the OLT is also from Syrotech. From what i have investigated so far, the issue in my case seems to be in the OLT. Further troubleshooting is ongoing with my cable operator.

@gautam2110 yes my Internet is working fine the only issue is with the voice service. I don’t know what olt my loc is using I will ask him. My nearest exchange jto told me to update my router firmware also I have mail id of nib they also told me the same thing. Please let me know if your issue has been resolved and also suggest me what shall I do to resolve this issue.

The voice service on Fiber Connection is not upto the mark, i could sense some disturbances.
Also, when you try to dial a mobile number, it asks you to add '0', which was not the same during copper line.

Again, the issue is the modem needs to be ON for the landline to work.

Again, the issue is the modem needs to be ON for the landline to work.
Most of the developed world has moved on from cooper landlines. They were good in its time, but had many issues of their own which have been solved by the latest VOIP tech. Keeping a lower power device like a modem on isn't such a hard thing to do, for the benefits it provides.

Meanwhile voice call quality depends to a large extent on your equipment, both modem and telephone set. And also the opposite party's equipment. This was the case before on copper too. Loose contact issues between the handset and the base set is one of the main culprits.

It's far unlikely that disturbance is introduced from any operator's internal network.

I was not aware that the world is moving from Copper to Fiber even for Landlines. But, i guess, most Indian Landlines (at least the BSNL), if not Airtel and others, rely on copper for communication.

I know that Reliance and Airtel have also moved from copper mostly, if not in all cities. But, isn't there a technology where landline doesn't need modem to be ON for it work? If NO, then there is a need for this in the future.

All electronics need power. Your old copper landline was also constantly "switched on". The only difference is the power for it came all the way from the telephone exchange through the copper telephone wire.

The issue that i mentioned in this thread has been finally resolved. The root cause was due to some mis-configuration in the OCLAN switch at the BSNL exchange. The packet loss issue is not easy for the BSNL guys to debug. Most of the local in-charge are not so technically equipped to handle these kind of issues, and mostly rely on the instructions provided to them by the regional NOC team. I got some good support from the local cable operator, and once we did a thorough troubleshooting on the OLT, it could be confirmed that the issue is with the BSNL switch. Finally after trying different ideas like changing switch ports, copying configuration from working port etc., finally the packet loss issue is solved. I can say, that the troubleshooting need to happen in a structured manner , until the device that is dropping the packets is located. Before anything else, first ensure that the traffic from the ONT to the BNG is working fine. The simple ping test should not show any packet loss.