Issues in getting BSNL FTTH conn and Why BSNL FTTH modem is highly priced (more than 10K) when netlink-gpon-ont-secure-ont is available under 1000 Rs

• Thread starter Thread starter josepaul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,354
No difference other than the wireless capabilities, also the first one includes a SIP ATA so you can connect a regular telephone to use with BSNL VOIP.
Would also need to confirm that the first device support dual mode ie both EPON and GPON, cause specs only mentions GPON. You cannot really generalise BSNL FTTH as the LCOs tend to use both GPON or EPON OLTs, so you might need to confirm with your operator.

Personally, I would get a basic ONT and use it in bridge mode with a good wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6 is a decent device for the price)
Thank you

@phil: thank you for the detailed explanation.

@varkey @vu3knb @philip

Never seen such detailed, spot on, to the point explanations anywhere else other than www.stackoverflow.com. you guys are tons of wisdom and kind enough to share the knowledge.thank you all

1.What is the status now have you got connections from BSNL direct ? Is It TRIPLE PLAY service ? Does it have any set top box other than ONT MODEM?
2.Can I use any ONT modem. It is understood that at PALARIVATTOM Alphion servers are installed By BSNL hence I have to use ALPHION ONT modem other wise if we get connection through LCO, they are providing Netlink ONTs
3. Suppose if I want to control FTTH wifi with multiple users name and password for each person and define rules separately, what all additional things to be required?

@BijuThomas
2. There have been a few cases on the forum wherein the ONT modem bought seperately did not work with the ISP's OLT device. It could be due to some genuine incompatibility, or lazyness on part of the employee to configure correctly. Its easier to get the ONT from BSNL or LCO. I have the above mentioned by @josepaul, a bare bones Netlink V2801SG ONT.

3. I believe what you're looking for is a radius server (authentication per user.) I think it can be setup using some device like an Rpi. Or maybe if your router supports openwrt?

The online market for ONTs isn't that great, as most of the time the ISP or the operator provides the device (well, at a higher price 😉) You could try reaching out to Netlink over phone, they do have offices in Ernakulam, so you could procure it offline too.

Check IndiaMart too -- Gpon Ont(1ge Secure Ont)(v2801sg) Netlink

Also note that the same device is being sold with different brand names, it's all made by the same OEM.

Bro is netlink V2801SG epon or GPON..???

@BijuThomas
2. There have been a few cases on the forum wherein the ONT modem bought seperately did not work with the ISP's OLT device. It could be due to some genuine incompatibility, or lazyness on part of the employee to configure correctly. Its easier to get the ONT from BSNL or LCO. I have the above mentioned by @josepaul, a bare bones Netlink V2801SG ONT.

3. I believe what you're looking for is a radius server (authentication per user.) I think it can be setup using some device like an Rpi. Or maybe if your router supports openwrt?
Bro, is netlink V2801SG EPON or GPON..???

@BijuThomas
Alphion actually locks OLT to same brand OLT in the firmware.