Issue with crossing the monthly usage limit.

All,Iam checking the usage of my BSNL Broadband and there would be for ex 768234KB being downloaded when i actually would not have done that.I also have checked any unknwn softwares running or antivirus running in background and i found nothing like that.Iam using WiFi Network at home whr not all systems run all the time.1.Is there some thing BSNL modem automatically downloads stuff?2.Can we do something to avoid this?3.Have anyone faced the similar issue?The concern is because iam crossing 8GB limit of 4MBps by 15th of the month and speed as stated will come down to 256kbps.ThanksAjith

May be a virus downloading in background or someone misusing your wifi connection. Use encryption for your wifi, wpa2 will be good. Install Bitmeter and check if there is any parallel download when you are idle. Use a Bandwidth meter to keep and eye on your usage .Try one from Shaplus.Which mode do you use ? PPPoE or Bridge ? In PPPoE you need to switch off the modem to disconnect internet. But it will be negligible if your PC is off.Complain to SDE about unaccounted usage.

Mention Modem/wifirouter model/make/number. for possible links with screen shots to set wifi settings .Use Browser Firefox with addons adblock plus flash block to reduce data download.Surfing 30 to 40% less likely.Install NetworX in each System you use.to monitor usage in each computer /laptop.Check , in your Usage portal whether meter changes at 02AM 08AM ( info for forum members )to account charged data/ Nu data.All recorded irrespective of plan used and last column will show data or 0 KB as applicable.

Mention Modem/wifirouter model/make/number. for possible links with screen shots to set wifi settings .
Use Browser Firefox with addons adblock plus flash block to reduce data download.
Surfing 30 to 40% less likely.

Install NetworX in each System you use.
to monitor usage in each computer /laptop.

Check , in your Usage portal whether meter changes at 02AM 08AM ( info for forum members )
to account charged data/ Nu data.All recorded irrespective of plan used and last column will show data or 0 KB as applicable.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions..Really appreciate your response.Let me try out and check if this helps

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

May be a virus downloading in background or someone misusing your wifi connection. Use encryption for your wifi, wpa2 will be good. Install Bitmeter and check if there is any parallel download when you are idle.

Use a Bandwidth meter to keep and eye on your usage .Try one from Shaplus.

Which mode do you use ? PPPoE or Bridge ? In PPPoE you need to switch off the modem to disconnect internet. But it will be negligible if your PC is off.

Complain to SDE about unaccounted usage.
Let me try out and check if this helps.. Really appreciate your response.