Issue in Connecting to Company VPN through Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter anujitg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 18,305

anujitg

ISP
Airtel Broadband
Hi,I am unable to connect to our Company's VPN through my Airtel Broadband connection. I have WinXP OS and using Beetel 220BX modem from Airtel. I can ping to the site however it doesn't connect. This is however not a problem with the PC or VPN client as it works absolutely fine for my other colleagues. If I use Airtel PSTN/Dialup, the VPN connects fine without any hitch. This also used to work with Broadband as well however it has stopped working for quite some time (not sure when). I am suspecting that this is something to do with the modem and its configuration which is usually handled by Airtel. Any idea whats wrong?????

What VPN client are you using?What error message do you get?When connecting to Broadband are you using a routed / bridged connection i.e. do you get a public ip on your ethernet interface or do you get a private ip?

Hope this helps.
VPN is used for connecting your computer to a server via net connection. The modem is not required to be configured. What you need is a domain name or IP address of the servier to which the connection needs to be established and your computer on which internet is available.

What VPN client are you using?
What error message do you get?
When connecting to Broadband are you using a routed / bridged connection i.e. do you get a public ip on your ethernet interface or do you get a private ip?
We are using a VPN client by Nortel Networks.
The error messgae I get while trying to connect through Broadband is "Login Error: Remote Host not responding". Please note that I will be able to ping to the Server IP address.
However I don't face any issue while using PSTN/Dialup from the same PC.

Even I use Nortel Network VPN and have 220bx modem.
I am setup as Bridge mode in router and have Linksys Router which dials the connection (PPPoE Mode).

The issue on ur case could be resolved if you change your modem to bridge mode and have the computer dial using pppoe connection.

Or else the other option is to have the following ports forwarded or triggered in the 220bx console.

Ports : 50,51,500

I believe the link you need to acccess would be http://192.168.1.1/main.html

anujitg is not using the windows xp VPN client. He is using Nortel Client which is an IPSEC Based vpn client software. The link provided here would not be useful for this type of connection.

Make ur PC as a DMZ in ur router settings. I think your router's NAT is dropping connections.Or try to use a bridge mode connection, and configure PPPOE on ur PC to connect to internet (instead of having router dial out ppp connection) & then ur contivity nortel client.