Isn’t ACT misleading customers with its Fibernet branding?

• Thread starter Thread starter Code9988
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,959
ISP
Tata sky
AFAIK, Airtel, Jio and TSBB are some of the big name ISP’s that use fiber cables. ACT uses copper cables from a junction box.

its not ftth but fttx or fttc or fttb

Didn't know this. How would it differ? It won't be a difficult task for them to provide fiber by extending few extra meters.

I have FTTH setup from the beginning . I got my connection two years back and my initial plan speed was 150 Mbps . (ACT launched 2 years ago in my city).

There is no drop in speed even with copper cables. So, no one cares.

Most western countries have FTTN or FTTC in suburban areas or FTTB (urban apartments). They are not allowing customers to pull new fiber through the neighborhoods or buildings, but customers who sign up for higher speed plans are given DOCSIS 3.1+ modems which is connected to the FTTx network of the ISP. Adds like 1-2ms extra latency but everyone gets to use 300Mbps-1Gbps over the existing coax cables.

India is a greenfield for ISPs to deploy fixed broadband. They should only use fiber for all new connections.

Didn't know this. How would it differ? It won't be a difficult task for them to provide fiber by extending few extra meters.
From what I understand, the roll-out cost per customer on FTTB is cheaper (They just charge 400₹ for re-installation) whereas you see companies charging 1000 for security deposit and 500 for installation of Jio Fiber FTTH connection.

Previously ACT used Cat 5 cable, from last year they change it to Cat 5e for speeds above 100Mbps.

Last edited:
I have 50 Mbps connection, but i don't know what type it is. But, let me tell you. I have had no issues with the internet whatsoever. Airtel did the same, they provided copper line for certain meters, while till the box it was fiber. But, yes, even the fiber connection is not available to every customer in an area. Be it Jio or Airtel or Whatever.