Is Time Real?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 6,124
And come to think of it, the decomposition of particle example i gave, the normal clock is similar to that particle.In every clock there is a device that keeps period. Either a pendulum, spring, quartz crystal or an atom. The period is fixed for all of them and thus the clock is able to keep time. Now when at non relativistic speeds these remain constant, and our clocks go on doing their thing and we reach work on time day after day. But if they are made to travel at very high speeds, time slows down. If a complete cycle of pendulum took 1 second, it might take 1 minute, or an hour or a day or even infinity (at light speed) compared to a clock that is not going that fast. This is odd, this is how we know that there is something there which we call time.

Hmmm. Will check it out then. These days, almost each scientist is shaking are deep rooted fundamental concepts itself!

thats why i am not sure about the fundamentally deep rooted creator of the universe :/

we do not even have a mind comprehensions enough to understand our-self and universe and.......we are thinking and talking about something like god???

And come to think of it, the decomposition of particle example i gave, the normal clock is similar to that particle.
In every clock there is a device that keeps period. Either a pendulum, spring, quartz crystal or an atom. The period is fixed for all of them and thus the clock is able to keep time. Now when at non relativistic speeds these remain constant, and our clocks go on doing their thing and we reach work on time day after day. But if they are made to travel at very high speeds, time slows down. If a complete cycle of pendulum took 1 second, it might take 1 minute, or an hour or a day or even infinity (at light speed) compared to a clock that is not going that fast. This is odd, this is how we know that there is something there which we call time.

But then, what wud happen to that same clock in outer space? Outside of Earth's gravity.....say on a planet like Jupiter? Or say in a Black Hole? Or simply, at Mount Everest, compared to the Marina Trench?

PS: I genuinely am looking for answers, and not trying to prove anything here! 🙂

thats why i am not sure about the fundamentally deep rooted creator of the universe :/

we do not even have a mind comprehensions enough to understand our-self and universe and.......we are thinking and talking about something like god???

Oh c'mon, but u have to have some inclination towards one or the other thing, based on what u have understood till now! Based on what i have understood, i do have reasons to believe, that there has to be a Super-Programmer. Or a Simulation controller, or a Script Writer......(Lets take this back in God thread, if we want to discuss on this!)

And no, i m not trying to search directly for the other questions like if there is such an entity, how did it come into existence, or what is the logic behind it et al. Yes, even i wud want to first confirm it thru proven technique. But, before something is proven, u need to have some understanding to think in a particular direction! In todays age, asking a question like "Is time real" can be totally absurd. But now research is going on to prove whether it exists or not. If yes, then we will get a refined definition of it, and we will be much better placed to control our lives. If not, then it wud open up a wild terrain of a series of further researches!

@Dheeraj.....

For God's sake, for Time's sake, for Multiverse's sake, for Science's sake, try to participate, rather than just acting like Govind Namdeo in OMG Movie. Who just knew 1 thing - to say "Dekha!!!" on what his seniors said. Coz here, we are not making teams and fighting....we are having a genuine, healthy debate, with each side almost similarly placed on knowledge and on confusion too.

@Dheeraj.....

For God's sake, for Time's sake, for Multiverse's sake, for Science's sake, try to participate, rather than just acting like Govind Namdeo in OMG Movie. Who just knew 1 thing - to say "Dekha!!!" on what his seniors said. Coz here, we are not making teams and fighting....we are having a genuine, healthy debate, with each side almost similarly placed on knowledge and on confusion too.

😀 TBH, I haven't really given much thought about the subject other than what I learnt in school. IIRC, time was a concept that we created in order to track the relativity of events. But thinking about it, it's really hard for me to define time. It's something that is quite different to material things and forces that we encounter in daily life that treating it in the same way might not be appropriate. Even if it doesn't exist, the way we use it in our lives very much is essential, and in a way we've made it a real thing. I hope that makes sense.

But regarding your post, I have one objection:

"Lets say, you walk across the floor. The person who started walking is not the same person who reaches the other side. You've changed completely, and your memory of the trip is just the brain sorting cognitive snippets left over from another you. So, if you do not have any such cognitive snippets of a particular period, then you do not remember living through that period at all."

Not having any such cognitive snippets of a particular period might make it seem like you've never lived through that period. But the reality is that that walk was real. It would be real to any bystanders who are looking at you. And, say, if there was a clock on the wall in front of you, then you'd be able to notice that a short period of time has elapsed yet you do not remember doing anything through that period.

But I don't really know how this is related to the subject. So feel free to ignore it. 😀

Lolz! Read some stuff mate! 🙂To ur question - thats what is the objective of showing.....that others saw u. U dont have any memories though. So its a relative thing then!

But then, what wud happen to that same clock in outer space? Outside of Earth's gravity.....say on a planet like Jupiter? Or say in a Black Hole? Or simply, at Mount Everest, compared to the Marina Trench?

PS: I genuinely am looking for answers, and not trying to prove anything here! 🙂

In space a pendulum clock won't work i think, although the other will and have a different time period, on jupiter all clocks will work with different time periods, same with Mt. Everest and the trenches.

As for black holes, it'd be annihilated even before it reaches the black hole because gravitational forces change were rapidly and it'll be stretched until it's shred into atoms.

Theoretically time inside a blackhole is at a standstill.

@sarth...are you serious? Time exist? How its looks? Is it white or black? Has it weight? Is it affected by gravity? When it came into existence and what's the age and when it will reach its end? For me time is just a unit of duration or period.. Clock is nothing but a unit measurement instrument like scale, speedometer etc.

Theoretically time inside a blackhole is at a standstill.
Where is the supporting evidences and who experimented inside blackhole?

:facedesk:
Go look up what theoretically means.

Fail troll iCon read the posts.

For me time is just a unit of duration or period.. Clock is nothing but a unit measurement instrument like scale, speedometer etc.

What does it measure? Damn at least try not to look like an idiot.

Lolzz.. Care to answer my other questions Mr Smart/Scientist. Btw you understand my post?

A dimension of space time. The order in which events occur. The measurement of change in entropy.Which one do you like?