Is Time Real?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 6,127
It is basically relative. Not constant. Across the Universe/Multiverses.

i wonder how many here follow doctor who. that guy has a pretty intense sense of what time is.

Hmmm. Will check it out then. These days, almost each scientist is shaking are deep rooted fundamental concepts itself!

well the basic thing is that time is not necessarily linear. we think it is linear because that is how we experience it. 😀 if you end up watching doctor who... you are talking about a couple of weeks worth of content here... you would realize that doctor who does not operate in a linear fashion. he travels through time and the stories stay connected no matter what happens at what moment of time. it is rather interesting. the linear nature of time is also connected to the stories connected with time travel. i do not really bother much about going deep into the whole concept. i just enjoy it like it is.

Lolololol! The Doctor is probably the best person to give advice on time!

In that case, may be u can give some quick summary of what he wants to say, or is it covered in what Sushubh said?

But there are sometimes scientific inaccuracies in the series, i've noticed sometimes but i don't remember atm.But yeah time is relative, it's almost just like the spacial dimensions. Even length and dimensions are relative.They're real things.Say a scale that is one feet long to me now, can be much longer if i were to travel fast enough.The scale is real, it's just that relativity is counter intuitive to what human brain is conditioned for, so is QM, and this is why so much related pseudoscience exists, like the "electron is conscious hypothesis" derived from double split experiment is a simple misinterpretation of the experimental set up.

1 of ur points is making me think that whether space is real or not. Lolz! 😀 Though i have heard that statement quite a few times, but, never bothered to think on that.Btw, i dont get this thing - if something is relative, then how do u have a Standard, Scientific Definition of it?

We call it relative, that's it's property, it's definition includes it's relativity.Food is relative, i don't like spicy food many people do, but food exists. I might call squids as food, you might not. I won't be able to call a lot of things that Bear Grylls as food. But it's food, what we eat.Time is just a dimension, it's property includes being non relative. What time we construct for ourselves is completely arbitrary just like the cartesian sign co ordinates we use in maths.

But then we can see food. And still further, its just a question of liking. Just because i dont like to eat non veg, doesnt mean that non-veg is not food. It still remains food.Thats not the case with Time. U cant see it. And nor it remains constant across people. The person who has got nothing to do in a "timeframe" of 1 hour, will have no memories of it. On the other hand, someone doing an activity will have lots of points within that period to be remembered.And then, even Gravity affects time. So its not just relative to Human brains. Its even relative outside of it. How do u define such a thing?

It's physically and universally relative, and sight is not the only proof of things. We know time exists by beating it up with a clocks and seeing clocks do weird things. If time was only an illusion of man, it would conform to our intuition, but it doesn't.

This debate has been reminding me of the lyrics from the metallica song "The Small Hours" which is a cover,

Time is an illusion,
Rising from time,
Steep is the mountain which we climb.

And food is universally relative, all creatures have different foods that other creatures don't exist, the common thing joining them is that they eat.

Same with time, it's relative to everyone, yet all of us exist in it. Nothing we know of yet that exists beyond space and time.

Clocks working, is just a man-made thing. Clock is just a man-made illusion. Where exactly do u see time? Can u feel it? Can u touch it? Can u smell it? Can u hear it? Can it be proven in any lab?If answer to any of the above is yes, i wud want a backing for it.

That is why it's valid, the clocks which are just man made devices suddenly start acting erratically. And the clocks that are used in these experiments are very accurate they use atoms and electrons and their time periods under same conditions would remain constant for thousands of years, but you change their condition and they act weirdly.It's like this say particle A decomposes to B in rest in X secs always.But if the particle A is say at 99% the speed of light, suddely the time taken for decompostion isn't X anymore.This is a real experiment which was in resnick halliday, i don't remember the particle and the exact time frames, but this what it was.