Is this advice of BSNL tech support correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
BSNL
Well, im using the home-500 connection with the type 2 router (dna-a211-i)For about a month now, im having problems with opening particular websites such as youtube,yahoo,msn,123greetings etc .. the text might load and the pictures wont or the text will be mis-aligned or the standard 'page cannot be displayed' messagea lil bit of history.. i had the bsnl iptv installed for past 3 months that would put the router to heavy use.. 3 days back have withdrawn the connection and reset the router to factory settings to remove all the iptv settingsNote: this problem is existing even prior to the withdrawal of the iptv servicethis thing was very irritating especially when i wanted to surf utilising the free 2-8 service and the pages wont load! booked several complaints over internet, 1500 but no response.. finally a few mins back, called up the bsnl technical support and the solution the guy gave me actually made things work in a jiffy! but.. im concerned about certain issues and that's where your help comes in..he made me do this:Control panel > network connection > properties of TCP/IP > maually enter the IP,subnet,default gateway,dns servers you want.I was able to open the websites post this but when asked whether this was a temporary or permanent solution he said 'temporary' since this would make my pc prone to hacks :OI stated this problem was never there for the past 2-3 yrs i have been using this, for which he said the modem could be problematic due to long yrs of usage. I got the modem exchanged only about 3 months back in exchange for the type-1 modem! response - > they give you old used modems only na! :huh: is this true?Finally, asked him is there a solution to make the websites work as usual 'without putting my pc @ risk with these static ip thing'. he said try removing the ip address and browsing, if they dont work input the settings i gave you manually! still problem - > call us again!So, thats the story... can the geeks here help me understand what this problem is all about and how this static ip thing makes things work and why the problem all of a sudden? finally, a safe solution! 🙂too many questions but easy to answer i guess 😉thanks for the help!Edit: oooooooooooooooooooooooops: Just realised that i had made the post in evdo forum 🙁 making a copy of this in the broadband forum... pls do assist there..!mods, im sorry about this.. u may delete this thread if need be...

Status
Not open for further replies.