Is there anyway to request/increase upload speed?

solariiknight

Regular
ISP
BSNL broadband, Aircel 3G.
well, most of our broadband connections have about 0.5Mbps upload speed. My brother wants to set up a small web server that will be used occasionally by 5-10 people. So, is there any way to increase the upload speed or can we ask(or buy) more upload speed from any ISP?If such a thing is not possible, are leased lines the only alternative?

check the terms and conditions. running a web server would most likely be illegal. and only a couple of ISPs in india are offering fast upload speeds on their connections. Beam is one I believe.

Feel lucky if the CC person even knows what upload speed is, or replies with anything other than "upload speed is not guaranteed"

Apart from the legalities contained within most residential broadband contracts, there is also a question of technology: if you're on ADSL like most people in Chennai (BSNL, Airtel), the answer is pretty much "no". I'm not sure about BSNL as I live in Mumbai, but MTNL has (or had) an addon to its' packages whereby you could pay extra to have your upload speed boosted (from the default 256k to 512 or a maximum of 768k). Even then, the maximum practical speed on most variants of ADSL is 1mbit/s if you're really lucky anyway.Otherwise, the possibilities on other types of connections may vary between different providers and technologies.

okay, thanks for the info 🙂 just curious, what are the available alternatives? and how expensive are they?

okay, thanks for the info 🙂
just curious, what are the available alternatives? and how expensive are they?

That would depend entirely on which other ISPs are providing services in your area.

Most of Chennai is in the unfortunate situation of having not much in the way of infrastructure for other ISPs to operate, so you've got BSNL, Airtel and not many other choices unless you want to look at wireless of some sort (Photon, Netconnect of MBlaze) - this will give you better upload speeds than DSL - assuming the signal in your area is strong - but may end up being prohibitively expensive if you're not careful about usage.

Tata and Reliance I believe have *some* presence in Chennai but I don't know off the top of my head which technology they're using there (all of these providers use practically every technology that is available in various locations around the country, but only they would be able to tell you which one they're using in your area)... basically if they're using DSL technology as BSNL and Airtel do, then you're out of luck on the upload speeds from them as well. If, however, they're using some form of Metro Ethernet or something then you've got a decent chance of being able to attain higher speeds from them.

I think Sify and Tikona are also available but user reviews of these companies are not always favourable (as per threads on this and other forums), so caveat emptor!

See if there are any posters in your area for small-time providers or cable operators - you *might* be able to get them to customize a plan for you if you ask really nicely (I can't guarantee it, but give it a shot if it's available).

How can ISP's Provide 1:1 on Residential broadband. we got a Official statement from ACT broadband and I believe Beam's Also the same.

How can ISP's Provide 1:1 on Residential broadband. we got a Official statement from ACT broadband and I believe Beam's Also the same.

My inclination would be to suggest that it does not relate to contention ratio, but rather to the connection itself being synchronous.