Is there any Operator on forum can provide me airtel internet connection in Biharsharif , Nalanda ?

• Thread starter Thread starter atif_imam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 6,275
If the distance between you and server is <=600 km, the pings should be 10-12 ms

And most of the punjab <500 km from Delhi

Which server is giving you 220 ms Ricky (it's very hard to believe claim, maybe if you were mumbai or Chennai, but I don't think its possible from Punjab)

BSNL fiber . Location Karnataka ,
Speed test Server - GTT.net NewYork network . server pings are 260ms
Ever since my city has got a BNG , I get 14-16ms to Google Chennai

Last edited:
Nope BNG and BGP are different . BNG which stands for Broadband Network Gateway is a Network Equipment which sits between the State Capital Network Operations Center(NOC) and the local city for providing Internet access to branched customers.

What is BGP?​

Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is the postal service of the Internet. When someone drops a letter into a mailbox, the postal service processes that piece of mail and chooses a fast, efficient route to deliver that letter to its recipient. Similarly, when someone submits data across the Internet, BGP is responsible for looking at all of the available paths that data could travel and picking the best route, which usually means hopping between autonomous systems.

BGP is the protocol that makes the Internet work. It does this by enabling data routing on the Internet. When a user in Singapore loads a website with origin servers in Argentina, BGP is the protocol that enables that communication to happen quickly and efficiently

Source- CF

I know what is BGP , but googling BNG just leads to vendor sites or telco news sides which reads like adverts.

I want o know how BNG provides such a big latency reduction?

What technologies makes up the BNG? and so on

Broadband Network Gateway. It is the equipment which terminates your connection which is coming via DSL or FTTH when the network between you and the BNG is Layer1 or Layer2 or the service is provided through PPPoE. This is mostly the case in India
In various countries, they use DHCP based service (IPoE) which can be provided by a Layer3 network also.

BNG is the device which authenticates you and apply right policy which enables 100Mbps. 200Mpbs etc on your line dynamically and also gives you IP address. This is done with the help of a software called AAA using radius protocol or in some cases it uses PCRF using Diameter.

Some OEM also supports integrated CGNAT in the same device and some do not and in their case the CGNAT will be a separate equipment between the BNG and the internet.

The latency problem is not addresses by the equipment. The latency is addressed by keeping the server as close to the BNG. In some cases the Ookla servers are directly connected to it.

If you notice in the Patna related thread, the latency is higher because there is no Airtel BNG physically present in Patna and the service is being provided either from Lucknow or Kolkata based BNGs. Even if they check it to the Ookla server hosted at Bharti Airtel Patna, they will get very high latency, but to lucknow it will be less that 10ms

Edit:: @shashankb Thanks for posting the URL

Latency for eastern India is bad. I stay around 180 KM from Kolkata and get approx 50 ms to cloud flare Mumbai. Sometimes becomes 80 ms. Google is around 60-70 ms. AWS US east is around 280ms, goes through Mumbai. My ISP uses Airtel and TATA both and both have similar latency. However, the route to Singapore is better on TATA. I hope Jio's submarine station at Digha gets materialized soon. Will they share it with other ISPs?

@panks21
Well my city unfortunately did not have a BNG . My city`s link mostly connected to Karwar and then to Bangalore which added latency , as said by the BSNL office. Now when ISP got a BNG in my city which directly connects to Bangalore , it reduces ping

You can check out that post here

True.. its because the Ookla serves normally follows BNG deployments at Airtel and if not they use "Bharti Airtel Ltd" servers which are also nearby. Cant comment on BSNL as they have screwed up processes and routing

Last edited:
Give BSNL a try man, who knows?
I think issues are created by my LOC . I recharged on my own and he lost 150 rs extra that he was charging me. Before this railwire was not this bad . I will leave railwire for sure but will destroy this LOC for sure too 🤣