• Thread starter Thread starter marc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,110

marc

I got banned!
ISP
JIO BSNL
I am using Teracom AN5006 ftth modem and this does not have routing function. I am trying to buy a better one (not from bsnl) and am confused whether it will work or not.
Anyone having any suggestions?
Thanks

Can you please elaborate on what exactly is "routing function."

If we want to share the connection then another router is needed, whereas other modems, you can go to the modem configuration page and feed it the username and password by using the inbuilt pppoe session. I am looking for another type of modem with such type of inbuilt pppoe session. There are many in the market but I want to make sure it is compatible. BSNL uses FTTH OLT of different make such as UT Starcom and Alphion. I am not sure whcih OLT is compatible with teracom modem. If I do buy another modem, I want to make sure that it is compatible with the present OLT I am connected to.

Couldn't find any data sheet or specs of the AN5006 FTTH modem, but I am guessing it only has a bridge mode and doesn't do NAT so you'd need a router to share the internet.

This one looks nice -- Huawei EchoLife HG8546M, saw it on IndiaMart for 2.3k -- Huawei Hg8546m Wifi Usb
Comes with Wifi and ethernet ports

I saw multiple references online. Not sure if there are different models, but some listings specifically say that it has 1 GE port ie LAN 1, not just the IndiaMart listing. Maybe it runs in GE mode only when in Bridge mode or there are multiple models available.

@varkey , No Specific Issues Only that it is a type A and does not have any login, It supports only bridge mode. You are supposed to use only one machine/desktop. So for ppoe login you need a separate device/router.

I have purchased HG8546m from India mart. Would try to test it tomorrow. Has anyone used it before? if any PON related settings are required. I believe PON uses authentication using SN/Password.