Is there a laptop exchange scheme on somewhere in Delhi?

• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,942

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
ISP
Airtel
HelloI have an old Acer laptop which is in a non-working state - the laptop does not power on, is most probably a hardware issue. Now I dont want to spend money in its repair and would rather buy a netbook. So wondering if any store in Delhi has an exchange scheme on? Or if there is a recycling unit in Delhi that offers you some bucks for your old laptop?CheersA

go to letsbuy.com.......they offer recycling price for ur unit.

go to letsbuy.com.......they offer recycling price for ur unit.

Letsbuy is only giving 500 Rs for the laptop. 🙁

recycling is not exactly exchange right?

recycling means that they are going to dismantle the laptop and sell the spare parts to probably repair shops and send the unusable components to recycling plants.

Nokia has a free recycling program in india.

in western world... you actually have to pay to get your electronic items recycled. Dell and Apple i believe offer free recycling now. but in most cases, you have to pay to get rid of your old computers and phones!

----------

i have a working dell laptop lying with me. same problem. i do not want to get the display repaired which would cost me 5-15K depending upon where i get it done.

i would not even get 15K for this laptop if i try to sell it in the market. i am keeping it for backup times. yours is of course a bigger problem because the unit would not even boot up. mine runs windows vista perfectly. i just have to connect an external display to it 😛

----------

i guess have a talk with a laptop repair center and try to get a quote from them. that should fetch you a much better figure than 500 bucks. though they would try to rip you off. 😕

HCL Laptop store at nehru place i went to today had some exchange scheme but in these schemes usually they want the product in working condition.

Yeah. I think getting a quote from the local service station guy would be a good idea. Anything more than 500 bucks is cool! 😀

Btw any recommendation for a netbook Rs 17,000 or less?Requirements - Basic Internet use, should not look ugly and a built in sim card slot for 3G access. Will the most basic chromebook cost around the same (whenever it's launched in India)?

Yeah. I think getting a quote from the local service station guy would be a good idea. Anything more than 500 bucks is cool! 😀

There are ads in classified section in newspapers & magazines by people who buy & sell old electronics & furniture , You can probably get a better quote from these people, i got a qoute of 300 for a old crt monitor at nehru place and sold it to one of these people in the newspaper for 500 and they pick it up from your home.

----------

Btw any recommendation for a netbook Rs 17,000 or less?
Requirements - Basic Internet use, should not look ugly and a built in sim card slot for 3G access. Will the most basic chromebook cost around the same (whenever it's launched in India)?

No idea about sim slot but you can get most AMD E300 based netbooks for around 18k-19k , AMD brazos based will be around 1k cheaper , both are better than Intel atom

Thanks!I think I ll increase my budget and go for the Dell Inspiron M101z (around 19,000). 10.1" is way too small (checked out today at a store) and don't want to buy an Acer. So I guess Dell is the best choice under 20,000.

there are a couple of guys on the forum who would suggest not touching the Dell brand here in india. i am one of them!

there are a couple of guys on the forum who would suggest not touching the Dell brand here in india. i am one of them!

TBH I have heard something similar from a few friends as well. Is Dell actually bad? The reviews for this netbook on Cnet and Engaget are good. I had an Acer and their authorised service centres were usually the shoddiest shops in town!

well my own recent experiences dealing with Dell in the recent times are related to my LCD panel. the indian guys simply did not respond to my complaints about major problem with the display. i ended up dealing with @dellcares international account to get support.

i am again facing display anamolies with the replacement unit i received and it sucks that the problem is not significant enough to ask me for another replacement model. i plan to keep this unit till the warranty lasts before selling it for ultra cheap or gifting it to any of my cousins who would still have a desktop 😀

i would not buy a dell display again. i had buy an Apple display today over dell. not touching dell ever again.

a friend of mine actually tried to get his display replaced for more than a year and everytime dell india would send him a different model. and tell him to use this model even though it was a pretty low end version compared to his high end model.

and from what i am seeing now, the @dellcares account now tells you to contact the dell india's twitter account to get support which sort of sends you back to indian support agents.

samuel has more recent experience dealing with dell and he would be more than happy to tell you to avoid dell at any costs!