Is PSTN over Fiber to Ethernet to PSTN possible?

• Thread starter Thread starter sol
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,426

sol

ISP
ACT Fibernet + BSNL FTTH + JioFiber
I've recently shifted to BSNL FTTH (Chennai) as a back-up Internet connection (alongside ACT, using mwan3 on my OpenWrt router, with the BSNL router in bridge mode, only doing modem duty).

The BSNL ONT device (Alphion ASEE-1443) comes with a separate RJ11 port for the phone. The ONT device is on the 2nd floor since my main router (Linksys E8450 w/ OpenWrt 22.03.2) is on the 2nd floor. However, the BSNL phone connection needs to be used on the ground floor.
  • My phone unit is a PSTN phone, not a VOIP phone.
  • I already have 2 managed ethernet switches (both TP-Link TL-SG108E) one on the second floor connected to another on the ground floor via Cat6.
  • I am trying to avoid running a long telephone wire with RJ11 endpoints between the 2nd floor and the ground floor.
I'd like to know if I could use the switch instead. What would I need to do?

(Also: Is BSNL not handing out IPv6 addresses in the Chennai circle? Or is there something the matter with my connection?)

Thanks in advance.

You cannot use the ethernet connection on the Switch directly. What I would suggest is run a separate cable by getting a PTSN to Ethernet converter and again a Ethernet to PTSN converter.
There is one more solution. Get your SIP working with the openwrt and a proxy and that can be used with IP phone. This ones a little bit tricky to do but this will bring one single line but you will need a managed switch I guess to do VLANs

The problem is that VoIP landline phones are quite expensive. I already have a Panasonic Single Line 2.4GHz KX-TG3712SXB Digital Cordless Telephone pair, and I want to continue using them.

You cannot use the ethernet connection on the Switch directly.
I'm guessing you mean I can't use PSTN connection on the switch directly?

What's an Ethernet to/from PSTN converter? How much would it cost? Could you provide any links? If I use such a converter, could I then use the switch(es)?

Would it not be possible to somehow bind the VOIP connection on the ONT to one of its two Ethernet ports and then transport that over the switch(es)?

Would it not be possible to somehow bind the VOIP connection on the ONT to one of its two Ethernet ports and then transport that over the switch(es)?
This is what the second method does