Is Porting Landline number a near future?

• Thread starter Thread starter mreccentric
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5,950

mreccentric

Addict
I got banned!
ISP
Airtel / ACT / BSNL
We have all seen how MNP/Mobile Number Porting has worked in India. Now that most of the telephone operators are moved on from copper wire connections to fiber connections, do you think that porting a landline number is possible in the future?

What i mean is, if you have a Jio landline number, and you want to use Airtel instead. You may retain your fixed line phone number, but change the ISP and also the telecom operator.

Doesn't this sound interesting?

Absolutely, It is very interesting.

I'm sure someone will briefly answer the problems with this and how it can be done.

As you said maybe someday we'll see it happening. Waiting for some great answers from our fellow members.

Landline number portability supposed to come in the 90s. Currently I have a bsnl number taken in the 70s by my grandfather and bsnl doesn't fix copper lines anymore I need to shift that number to another state and port to Airtel

This is unlikely to happen. Fibre broadband penetration in the country is far too low. And it is expensive to roll out fiber than it is to cover a 5 sq km area with 4G signals that serve thousands of people. So no company that invests in fiber would want to make it easy to port out to another operator. Another issue is, even if you port out, your equipment is still connected to your former operators fiber network, ie, your calls are all routed using your former operators network, but you don’t pay them anything.

@pillaicha

How will the equipment still be connected to the former network (for routing), when the number is ported out? Can you please explain for a broader perspective?

Recently, i have learnt that the a particular number on fiber can be shifted to a different location within the district, without any hassle. This was previously true for Airtel, and now, it has been a normal with BSNL, since they are relying on fiber/VoIP.

Landline number portability supposed to come in the 90s. Currently I have a bsnl number taken in the 70s by my grandfather and bsnl doesn't fix copper lines anymore I need to shift that number to another state and port to Airtel
If you want to safeguard the number while you move away from bsnl for broadband services, you can shift the number to bsnl aseem.

Once i port to a newer telecom, i will be using the equipments and routers of newer telecom. Just like we use the SIM of a newer mobile operator.
But, i don't see the reason why the older ISP needs to be billed for the service.

Never knew that something as such was there back then. I shall call the Customer Care and get details about the above. The only issue with ASEEM is that it is not possible to make outgoing calls with that number.

Yea, it is just for incoming. For you, it can be a way to hold on to the number at minimal cost.

Also, the process of getting this is, you have to visit the BSNL sanchar kendra and fill up a form.

I called the customer care, and got the same reply. But, also i was told that i can do apply for the same on selfcare portal.

Right now, i will continue using BSNL in a normal. But, will keep the option of changing to ASEEM if time requires.