Is port forwarding dead with Bsnl Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter zonwave
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4,527
ISP
Bsnl
Hi

Can somebody confirm if port forwarding is dead with bsnl. I tried configuring my router to forward ports to my pc inside a lan. But nothing seems to work. Apparently it seems that port forwarding is not at all possible with bsnl

I conclude this by looking at the ip addresses -

My public ip : 117.204.x.x
Wan IP in adsl router -> 100.79.x.x
Wan gateway: 100.79.x.1

The wan ip of the adsl router is not the same as the public ip. This probably means that my adsl router is not exposed directly to internet.
Is port forwarding likely to work under such a situation ?

Are others able to port forward on bsnl broadband ?

Hi,
Yes, BSNL is now using CGNAT for LFMT users and it won't be possible for you to use port forwarding with this setup.

@Rajneesh Rana

yes, my username has @lfmt.in suffixed to it, so i suppose i am an lfmt user too.
what is lfmt by the way ?

and what is the point of cgnat. a large telecom provider won't offer port forwarding ?
doesn't make sense. are any exceptions granted ?
is it possible to opt for a specific rental plan that is "non-cgnat"

any other solution out

@zonwave
LFMT is Limited Fixed Mobile Telephony
This assigne you a new landline number which can be used virtually using SIP based apps and thus you can call using your home wifi.
But as it's "Limited" they allow you to use it on your home wifi only.
For this BSNL needs to assign a static IP. As we all know Ipv4 is already very limited they are using CGNAT so you get a private ip of range 100.79.x.x which is used to authenticate for your LFMT service.
That's the reason CGNAT is required in this case.

I guess if you ask them to opt out of LFMT then you might get a normal ipv4 dynamic ip for your connection.