• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,598

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Oracle has bought out Sun Microsystems and so MySQL is now Oracle product, so to say. What will happen to MySQL database? Loved by the open source community so much and PHP web developers. What do you reckon guys? Thanks

Not sure what you are trying to get at. Open source is open source. And MySQL has built great credibility over time. It is not going to vanish just because some other company has taken it over.

postgresql is not as widely supported as mysql by open source software... vbulletin, phpbb, ipb, wordpress... most of the popular web based apps are based on mysql. some of these have support for other database systems. but mysql by default is supported by almost all php based apps. it remains to be seen what oracle has planned for mysql. its an open source offering so ports can probably emerge in case oracle kills the official mysql project. but there are a lot of scares in the market about this acquisition deal.

i am however waiting to see if all of these projects start offering postgresql support as a priority...

what i mean is, even if Oracle stops mysql development (i dont think it will) we still have postgresql.postgresql is feature wise much better than mysql but ppl prefer mysql because its light and has enough features that are normally reqed.plus mysql became easily popular because of its name. its very tough to remember name postgresql. 😀

haha. 🙂 well mysql cannot simply disappear or become paid just like that because of the open source license... analysts are just worried that oracle would try to stop/slow the development of new features that would/could enable mysql to become a viable challenger to oracle's paid offerings in the future. but the point remains... oracle can/would make money by offering support services on mysql... i am somewhat more excited about the future of openoffice. oracle owning sun means that they are now directly involved in the development of openoffice. and since they are a major rivals of microsoft, they have good reasons to ensure that openoffice prospers in the market.

i have started to see software supporting both mysql and postgresql. however mysql is still the default SQL server.SQLite is what desktop based applications are switching to. because of its super-duper ease of use and its very fast and also easy to use APIs. however it can not be replaced as true SQL replacement.