Is My Airtel app pushing popup banner ads to promote Airtel TV on your Android Smartphone?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 6,048

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
This has happened a few times in the recent weeks. Happens randomly. Popup comes out of nowhere. Always for an Airtel app. Managed to capture it for the first time. Screenshots below.

I can only imagine that My Airtel app is doing it. Anyone else has received this kind of ad on their phones?

xc8X7Ep.png
9sIHUyP.jpg
wnRAX5S.png
enUjQWs.png

Last edited:
so no one? 🙄

I got it once yesterday too. Was terrified upon seeing it. Checked all permission. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it.

I am just trying to get an idea if my airtel is doing this. Because it is happening completely randomly and no app name is visible.

This is the first time I have seen an app capable of pushing such apps when it has not run for weeks. App doesn't have overlay over other apps permission. If airtel has found a way to inject apps in such an invisible way using my airtel app... Others would too.

I mean the only way to accurately connect the dots would be to check system logs to see the origin of that ad.

It's also annoying that android does not allow disabling app without deleting it so I can't take that route. I considered removing the app but the web version is messed up. Doesn't show validity of prepaid plans and pending dues of wired plans clearly.

Android has something known as "display over other apps". It is used by Lastpass that I use. I checked the list of apps there at "display over other apps" settings. No, "My Airtel" isn't there. So, it could be done by the carrier (I use Airtel SIM) or it could be done by another app that has been hacked.

Same. It happens to me on Excitel. And I am on private dns. And it's not happening inside browser which is the most baffling thing. I have restricted background battery access to my airtel app. Remains to be seen if that would fix this. Next time if it happens I would try to generate bug report to see if that helps in identifying the source.

I am on BSNL, though. I see something in Airtel TV settings...

dTfGuhi.jpg

I don't know what Power Play is. I am going to disable it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the type of notifications they send. categorization of notifications. recent build of android has this capability and app developers can use it.

for instance... i have told flipkart app to only send me notifications related to my orders. no promotions or offers. so the setting you are talking about would disable notifications related to whatever airtel power play is.

jcPDlYo.png

(i do not have airtel tv installed on my phone so the ads are not coming from this app)