• Thread starter Thread starter emptymt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,124

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
well my mtnl bb at home has been down for a couple of weeks due to a cable fault. 😡 .Was planning to get a 3G plan and use my phone as a modem as a substitute.Decided to first check if Edge was usable as browsing around was the main criteria. Activated the daily 50mb pack on my spare no. EDGE clearly was unusable. Tried setting my phone in UMTS mode and it worked. Speedtest showed 2-3mbps. Browsing around was a breeze. And there was no charge for it. Data balance was reduced from my daily 50mb allowance.So went ahead and subscribed to the 98 2GB plan. Now usage in 3G mode is still deducted from my 2GB balance and the rest of my credit is untouched. However the speeds that I get now are the same as edge. Browsing on the pc is impossible. My phones connection manager doesnt ever show speeds more than 12kbps even when the network icon shows 3.5G. I dont get this. I thought it wasnt possible to throttle speeds on 3G. Thought the technology didnt allow it. Thats why no operator has different plans based on speeds like wired broadband. 3G speeds i thought are dependent only on your modems capacity. 3.6, 7.2 or 21 mbps . . . .speeds u can use depend on your modem and not your plan.Then why have the speeds fallen so drastically once i got the montly plan? Am afraid if I subscribe to a proper 3G pack I still might be stuck with similar speeds. Is that possible if the speeds on my current 3G mode are already abysmal as such.Or does airtel actually have means to throttle speeds and shifting to a 3G plan will give me adequate speeds?

If i am correct 98 2G is a unlimited plan, if it's correct then u will get speed according to this plan only.

yes . . . thats my point. While the speeds maybe correct as per my plan . . . am not really complaining about it. Am wondering how they are throttling speeds.

I think it is perfectly possible technically to throttle 3G speed.BSNL is doing it for a long time, my BSNL 3G speed is capped to 1Mbps now.

I think it is perfectly possible technically to throttle 3G speed.
BSNL is doing it for a long time, my BSNL 3G speed is capped to 1Mbps now.

What you are saying is true. But all BSNL users in your area/region will have their speeds capped to 1mbps. That's restricting bandwidth to the network itself.

What I am talking out is throttling based on plan differentiation i.e. one phone having edge speeds on 3g network and another phone right next to it on the same 3G network, but enjoys higher speeds due to plan differential.

3g speeds can be controlled through software.

i think it is throttling. it happened with me as well. was getting great speeds and then did a recharge. after that am getting 8-10KBps max 🙁