is it possible to have airtel landline at a different place than the router on v-fiber?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 8,489

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
i haven't had such a setup in a long time so not sure what's the latest on this. i want the landline to be on ground floor while the router needs to be in the basement. cheers.

If you want a corded phone then you will have to draw a telephone wire from basement to the ground floor & let both ends terminate in a junction box which connects one side with a RJ 11 to the modem & other end with a similar wire to the tel instrument. Or you can have a cordless setup where the base unit is connected to the modem & kept next to it & the handset is kept on the ground floor, provided the signal carries through. You will have to try it out. May work with the new powerful cordless phones. Or the third option is like the second only you use TWO cordless phones connected wirelessly.

Last edited:
Time to see if long rj11 cables are available on Amazon. Would be hard to find offline.

I guess this would increase disturbance in the landline so that's another problem...

Airtel is unlikely to do the wiring. Would try to check with local guy if he responds to my call. Gave me a goli yesterday.

Lay the wire to required location & let both ends terminate in a junction box, the type you see in every home. From this box you can connect instrument with a RJ 11 cable. The usual off the shelf type. You can do this yourself. I had done a similar layout (2 different rooms at same level) by myself. After I got rid of MTNL & used my internal wire for Jio fiber connection.

How does that work 🤔😁

It will work with the adsl splitter. This is the way Airtel has wired it up in my place. Adsl splitter has two RJ11 ports labeled ADSL and PHONE. From terminal box /wall socket cable connects to splitter. From splitter ADSL goes to router, PHONE goes to landline instrument.

I had router on first floor and landline on ground floor in a diagonal but same side room a couple of years ago (Not able to describe exactly, but basically the room was not right below the one where router was and a bit away, more like an adjacent apartment). Airtel did it for me, and they changed it back multiple times whenever I asked them to do a setup change. Not sure if the experiences are different than I had in Chennai.

If I remember correctly, they had brought the line inside the first floor room and setup the router and then had taken another wire out to the ground floor room to provide the landline

Now its the same room, once I got Hathway as my alternate connection.

yeah had a talk with local airtel guy. he said that they can easily do such a setup. didn't check about cost. but certainly something that one doesn't need to do himself.

They never charged me any.... I think I have changed the setup 3 times since I got the connection.

so delhi to gurgaon migration was free. but migration from one house to another in same locality was charged...

😓