Is it good idea to switch from ACT to Jio Fiber (Hyderabad)?

• Thread starter Thread starter saichandra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,541
ISP
Act Fibernet
I just got onboarded to a company which pays me maximum of rs1800 pm. So, I want to upgrade my plan of 75mbps to 300mbps in ACT but the router(personal) which I have now only support 100mbps. When I contacted ACT they said they can't provide me router unless I take a annual plan and I am using ACT for more than 3 years now. My main concern is the ping, which I get around 40-50ms in valorant on ACT. So, should I purchase a router or go with new Jio Fiber connection? And Airtel is not available in my area.

Try talking with the customer care about the situation. Tell them you like their service and you will continue with them further if they get your router upgraded. Jio also has good peering connections. As Valorant mostly runs on AWS Global accelerator, you should get the same on Jiofiber in case you decide to switch.

If someone you know has Jiofiber already in your location, you can ask them to give the result of the ping to this IP

ping 75.2.66.166
Code:
18 packets transmitted, 18 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 14.326/15.937/20.847/1.620 ms

ping 99.83.136.104
Code:
12 packets transmitted, 12 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.738/15.105/16.268/0.818 ms

I'm using Cloudflare DNS and these pings are when connected on 2.4GHz WiFi.

What router (brand, model number) do you have currently? What's your budget for new router?

If you are the only person in your home, 75/75 (download/upload) Mbps plan with proper QoS (Quality of Service) is better than 300/300 Mbps plan with no QoS. However if you have multiple users it is better to have higher bandwidth plan. That said I think >125/125 Mbps plan with QoS is enough even for multiple users.

If you are tech savvy, I suggest buying TP-Link Archer A7 or A6 router and flashing OpenWRT on it, and then setup "Cake" SQM QoS on the pppoe-wan interface (your ACT fiber connection).

I'm using 30 Mbps plan as of now with Adguard Home (much better alternative to pi-hole). I too switched from ACT as they dont provide true FTTH and rather a single fiber cable for whole neighbourhood, as a result lost internet access when power would go away for more than 5 mins. Also ACT hyd doesnt have proper IPv6 support and bad routing for some websites. Here are the ping results:
Ping statistics for 75.2.66.166: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

Ping statistics for 99.83.136.104: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 13ms
Done with Cat5E cable.

I have no issues using ACT as it provides me with backup of up to 6 hours and best thing is, If there is power cut then I can connect the Cat6 cable of ACT directly to my laptop and access internet. And the junction box from which I get connection has only 2 connections including mine. So, I think few meters of copper cable doesn't have massive impact on ping. The main disadvantage of FTTH is that we have to buy backup power bank for router which costs 15000-2000 in case of power cut which is usual in our country during monsoon.

Ping statistics for 75.2.66.166:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms
Ping statistics for 99.83.136.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 16ms
I think DNS doesn't affect the ping and I am also using Cloudflare DNS and I am using Ethernet cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an inverter/UPS for my home so no need of anything extra, router power bank costs 1500 not 15000. Main issue with ACT is no IPv6 and bad routing for some data centers. I have a home server for media and other apps and without IPv6 I won't be able to access it outside my home.

Last edited by a moderator: