Is it advisable to go for BSNL WiMAX ?

ISP
JIO,BSNL
I live in small city and BSNL is the lone ISP here and since I live in rented home so I don't want to go for wired broadband as I need to do lot of paperwork to shift connection in case I change my address.
So WiMAX seems better option. I am planning to visit BSNL exchange for inquiry but before visit I wanted to do some basic research.
So based on your user experience please tell me whether I should go for it or avoid this.

i doubt if they still have it , except for their website

customer premises equipment is costly and they dont have any high usage or unlimited plans

why u would want that ?

reliance CDMA or Bsnl CDMA not working in ur area ?

one of My friend(we don't live in the same city) got new connection for 2250 i.e. 1500 for CPE and 750 one month subscription charges. Speed offered is 512kbps full unlimited as per that friend he always get over 100kBps in IDM.
Coming to BSNL CDMA,EVDO is not present here though I live in district HQ still its not here and normal 1X connection is not stable,frequent disconnection is a common thing both BSNL employees and CC are clueless.
Reliance netconnect has FUP based plans for Rs.999 i.e. 10GB day+10GB night,later 144kbps yesterday I got to know about 999 full unlimited combo plan but haven't tested yet as I have to purchase a cdma dongle which is very rare to find in market.

I dont see any unlimited plans for Wimax in bsnl site , if its 512 kbps how come ur friend is gettings 100KBps ??

i was saying about reliance CDMA SIM card , not the netconnect one

reliance prepaid SIM + Unlocked dongle + 949 UL plan

am using this plan for past 20 days , getting 1 mbps , its capped at 1 mbps but i get the full 1mbps all the time

unlocked CDMA modems are not that rare , check ebay it would cost u around 700- 2000 Rs

u can get hauwei EC315 for rs 2500 , which has wifi option

right , the postpaid link of wimax was showing error most of the time after checking the prepaid link i thought they wouldnt have anything Unlimited on postpaid too .

so there is an UL plan but its only 512kbps , but the reliance am suggesting is 1mbps UL for the same monthly charges

u should give it a try , my suggestion , if ur friend is having no issues with the wimax connection then may be u can try that , but BSNL is BSNL !!

i havent ditched Bsnl EVDO , the place am in now doesnt have EVDO coverage , so using Reliance for the time being

I agree to your point "BSNL is BSNL". My experiment with BSNL EVDO really made me pissed off I wasted Rs.3000
Actually I have 3 devices and I have to recharge separately for all those 3 devices I was looking for Wimax as single connection would serve all three and it will save some money too. But if I go with Rcom CDMA still I have to recharge for rest of the two devices. Data Card+Wifi rouer could be a solution but I have read somewhere that unlocked modem causes problems with router.

Data card for Laptop,3G recharge for my phone,BSNL 3G for my father.If I get a WiFi device I can reduce my data recharge approx Rs.150 saving straightway, Father recharges approx Rs.200 which could be reduced to Rs.56(bsnl offers 250Mb for 56 which is enough for a month to use when not in home.)

No where Mentioned it is only for Carrier locked USB Modems

No where Mentioned it is only for Carrier locked USB modems. I bought D-Link's carrier free USB modem and this router, the router didn't worked. I called TP-Link customer care support they closed my ticket by saying this router won't have any support for Carrier free USB modems. But that is not mentioned anywhere before buying..

TP-LINK TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/3.75G/4G Wireless N Router

Last edited by a moderator:
i have used unlocked Huawei GSM modem , factory Unlocked Micromax CDMA modem , Capitel modem provided along with BSNL EVDO which is unlocked one
and used few more reliance and MTS network locked modems and it all worked fine

never used any D-Link USB modem , so cant comment on that , if u read more reviews u will get know that the router supports most of the brands

check the wifi router model in my siggy