Is it a good decision to disconnect BSNL Broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter rameshbritto
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,457
Guyz,since last few days I am really confused to switch to other ISP or not as BSNL is not giving much benefits even after paying so much money.I want to shift to some other ISP but I am afraid that what if BSNL in future will bting more benefits?BSNL works good for me all the time and I agree but speeds are not much as other ISPs.Please help me.

if you have a good alternative available to you. just dump bsnl.
the only reason left to use bsnl is if you cannot dump the connected landline number.
i have a few family members who are still paying for mtnl connections just because the landline number has been distributed across the family for more than 20 years now.

I somewhat agree with the above. I ditched BSNL after having their connection for nearly two decades. Landline number was very important at first. But later mobile no. was much more important than it, and it just became a status symbol, having a landline, so I said F to that and disconnected the line. I was paying 1000 to them back at that time (2016) for 1.8 mbps up to some GB, I don't remember exactly how much.

Switched to much cheap Alliance Broadband then, I'm in Calcutta. But honestly stability is not on par with BSNL at all. I mean BSNL was true 24x7 connection, not this cheap cable one though. Frequent disconnection issues are there. So if 24x7 stability is important, then look for something like Airtel or alike, I don't know. These local cable connections are meant for sheer speed only, like a movie download, or YouTube at 1440p stuffs like that.

Also the pings are not that good. With BSNL (old connection) any Indian website would usually open fast and even European servers were moderately fast enough, but this cable connections take time, high latency. If you're a gamer, it'll be a PITA. I play CSS and my ping is like 50-70. When I see some players latency at below 30, I ask what connection you using, and they say BSNL, LoL. So I'm contemplating to go back to BSNL, but that could be a mistake. Also I use the basic 500 +GST plan of Alliance, I don't think BSNL has any plans that cheap.

It's a very tough decision, completely based on your needs, good luck.

I am using 2 Mbps flat 599/- plan from bsnl. And it has been rock solid as i got my line changed from the dp box to my home in January. Since then it barely disconnets or hangs, i keep the router on for more than 10 days and it works just fine. I also use Google Chromecast for media streaming and most of the content plays at 720p and some times at 480p. I am pretty much staisfied with it as there is no other isp in my area as of now. I would suggest you to ask your neighbours about the isp they are using then take an informed decision.

It all depends on your data requirements. If your current requirements is being met by BSNL at even low speeds like 8 Mbps, I advise stick to it since you mentioned you don't have problems with any downtime. If it's the offers you are concerned about, then be aware that cellular data turf war is being reignited with more new plans with better data benefits from Airtel, Jio and the others. BSNL still doesn't have full fledged 4g capabilities and with Jio fiber being introduced BSNL will have a tough time ahead keeping it's customers. Their only option is to come up with more lucrative broadband plans (they already introduced 3 new plans) to keep themselves from running out of business. But before you make any decision, try to be well informed about the other ISP's in your locality and the quality of their service, rather than just the data benefits and the cost.

their new updated ftth plans have bandwidth allocation of up to 200GB from what i read. it's unlikely they are going to ever come close to matching the plans offered by smaller players. bsnl is only left with the customers who have minimal requirement or the customers who do not have any alternatives in their areas.

BSNL FTTH/ Broadband Plans Now Come With Unlimited Voice Calls to Take on Jio | Technology News
To recall, BSNL had doubled the FUP data for three of its FTTH plans. It has essentially refreshed three fibre broadband plans, worth Rs. 1,045, Rs. 1,395, and Rs. 1,895 to offer more data up to 200GB. Last month, BSNL also extended its Free Sunday Calls offer for landline and broadband users.

seriously... why even spend money on ftth when you are only going to offer 200GB data on it.

Guyz,since last few days I am really confused to switch to other ISP or not as BSNL is not giving much benefits even after paying so much money.I want to shift to some other ISP but I am afraid that what if BSNL in future will bting more benefits?BSNL works good for me all the time and I agree but speeds are not much as other ISPs.Please help me.
BSNL is giving 8 mbps unlimited in 249 rs(happy browsing). What is your other isp offering?

Thank you for your replies, guys.See the problem is BSNL is offering happy browsing offer since November 2017,the time when BSNL started to give 8 Mbps and 10 Mbps plans.Now,BSNL also gives 24x7 unlimited calling to any network in India with plans of Rs 699 and above.So,I pay 1199 rs and my benefits are also applicable to 699 and above customers.So, I think this thing is not fair.

so you should change your plan to the Rs 699, just write it on the paper that you want to change your plan to 699 Rs, write your landline no. , name, sign it and submit it in the exchange and they will change your plan on that same day. Why pay more when you can avail the same benefits on the lower value plan?

if you have a good alternative available to you. just dump bsnl.
the only reason left to use bsnl is if you cannot dump the connected landline number.
i have a few family members who are still paying for mtnl connections just because the landline number has been distributed across the family for more than 20 years now.

For such cases, you could go for the BSNL Aseem plan where they forward the calls to a mobile number of your choice for Rs 199 + tax a year (Rs 99 + tax if forwarded to a BSNL number) This would allow you get the incoming calls and gradually switch to a new number. Even if you have to keep it forever, the service is pretty cheap IMO. Pair it with a FWP device and you have a wireless land phone.

There's no formal announcement yet but the buzz on the web is that BSNL is going to introduce two new FTTH plans namely Fibro Combo ULD 777 and Fibro Combo ULD 1277 with speeds of up to 50 Mbps soon (from June 12, 2018 on a pan India basis apparently) with FUP's of 500Gb and 750Gb respectively. Post-FUP speed will reduce to 2 Mbps. It will also come with unlimited voice calling benefit to any network in the country. After the introduction of three new plans of 99, 199 and 299 BSNL is on a launching spree to lure more customers. Apparently these new plans will be for new customers but I think old customers can also switch to them.

Last edited:
Not sure which one's happening faster, Donald Trump's tweets or BSNL launching a new plan every other day.

249 plan, 8 mbps speed.

1099 plan, 10 mbps speed.

399 plan, 20 mbps speed.

Now 777 plan, 50 mbps speed.

They have to calm the f down and balance out the plans FFS. And send apology to the users who are paying any more than 500 and getting like 2 mbps speed still. Though most BSNL users are like my mother, who don't know jacksh!t about speeds or limits anyway, so why bother!